Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

The Case of the Lost Card Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:08 PM
In the skyscraper where my company is HQ'ed the leasing office requires mag locks and oversees the door cards. Our suite is always locked. Occasionally executives come for a visit or someone forgets their card (usually on a Monday). We have a spare for these occasions, although it wouldn't kill us to burn a calorie answering the door.

It is a small company and we all know each other. We can hear someone knocking on the door. So - the cards really aren't the problem. The building-required mag locks are.

2 of the other companies on our floor have "public reception" doors that aren't locked during business hours. Sometimes on sort-of holidays like today (Columbus Day) the leasing office forgets to re-program the maglocks on those public doors - leaving them unlocked until business hours are over. It has happened often enough that the receptionist next door cc's me on her requests to the leasing office to have the door locked on odd days. I set a calendar reminder to go over and tug on their public door. Twice (of about 20 times) I've found it unlocked and sent a reminder to the leasing office.

As ever security is only as good as the humans running it.
Post #1504449
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 9:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 8:24 AM
I jave a fob on my keychain, card on my wallet and mobile credential on my phone. I use the fob and smartphone credentials the most.
Post #1504465
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 9:22 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, February 24, 2014 12:23 PM
I used to work for a Giant Entity in one of their accounting centers. During my first stint there badges were required but not enforced. After the first Gulf War started, doors were locked 24/7 and the badge requirements were enforced. If you forgot your badge The Gatekeeper (really nice lady that took gruff from noone - even the center manager) would stop you and make you wear a bright yellow "forgotten badge" badge. It was really hard to slip by her - she'd somehow nail you even if you used the back door.

I currently work for a small company where we keep the doors locked 24/7, but a good rap on the door will bring somebody to let you in. As a small company that deals with HIPAA related data, though, no visitors are left alone.
Post #1504467
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 9:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 11:00 AM
We have a card with photo id, I carry mine on a lanyard with a reel so I don't have to bow to open the door. Not sure why they are lower than waist high. Lost cards cost $25 to replace. If you forget your card the guard will buzz you in and you need to sign in. If you forget your card a lot within a 6 month period it'll show up on your review.
Post #1504477
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 10:40 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
The building has a guard on duty at the building entrance 24x7. Everyone has to use their card to enter the building through a turnstile, and everyone has to use their card to enter the datacenter. If you forget your card, they issue a temporary one after checking your ID and verifying you against an on-file picture. Your regular card is deactivated until you return the temporary card. Guests are issued a temporary card, good only for that day, and must be signed in by the person they visiting. You are supposed to display your badge at all times, but no one does.

Post #1504485
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 10:44 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:14 PM
We transitioned to a more secure system a few years ago. During normal business hours, there are security people at the entrance and a photo employee badge is required on you at all times (it pops up your picture on a display when you swipe). If you forget your badge, they will issue a temporary paper badge, but they would only do so if they recognized you. Visitors for any length of time are given a visitor picture badge, but daily visitors require someone to go to the entrance and accompany them at all times while in the building. This is the corporate office for a coop.

Post #1504486
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 11:00 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:47 PM
We use our badges to access the building and to leave any common areas (like the break rooms). If we forget or lose our badge, we have to go to reception and our supervisor or manager have to show up and approve us to get a temporary badge. By including the supervisor/manager, a person can't be fired and then show up the next day saying they need a new badge since they lost theirs.

-SQLBill

Post #1504489
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 11:17 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:01 AM
As always, it depends.

One remote site actually has a badge holder in clear view through the glass door used to access the building. Seriously. They have been reported to HR many times. Still there.

At our data center we have signs that clearly state leaving the door propped open is a violation and to not do so. It is propped open about half the time.

Some staff refuse to wear their badges, others wear them all the time. Losing a badge costs about $4, and if you have a wafer to open doors that is an additional $4. When you consider the cost of the materials it may seem high, but if you consider the cost of the staff that makes the badge, we lose money. When you consider the wafers, and that another department handles them, well it seems fair to me.

My issue is the retractable reels don't extend far enough, so you have to lean over or otherwise contort yourself to be able to use the wafers. Clocks are one height, door scanners another. If you wear a lanyard, they are too short for most people, and the policy calls for them to hang at your breast. So if you wear one long enough to be useful, it is in violation. Then there is the issue that you can't ever look at a woman's badge to get their name due to where they are located.

So mine is on a detachable lanyard, and I remove it to use it.

Dave
Post #1504495
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 12:52 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 10:02 AM
At our workplace a temporary one day card is issued if employees forget to bring their cards. When a card is lost a new one is issued and the old is deactivated.
Post #1504516
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 2:06 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, February 3, 2014 12:30 PM
I treat my badge as I do my wallet or car key, so I check to ensure I have it each morning. Even though it makes no sense, as it is just needed to access the building and I can just go in with someone or have the security let me in. So it doesn't matter if I have it or not.

A badge should not only restrict access to a building but also different areas and resources.

Racboy

Post #1504532
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse