Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Case of the Lost Card Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:40 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:20 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Case of the Lost Card

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1504222
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 1:58 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:16 AM
As to the method of issue, working freelance I have worked at a range of sights and I am quite happy with the "get a day pass from reception" because, generally, like most people I rarely forget and I appreciate how important security is. Can you really say you are taking all necessary actions to protect the data if anyone can walk through the building? I think not.

My preferred method of on site card carrying is either lanyard or on a reel. My least favourite are the plastic holders (which rip) with the metal clips (which hold onto nothing).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1504341
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 4:53 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:22 AM
In my industry now, there is a much different emphasis. If you forget your badge in most places, you are denied entry, period. Entry requires the badge and then other bio-ID means of access, so without the badge you have a non-starter.
Post #1504397
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 5:42 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:01 AM
I have a barcoded photo ID that I wear on a reel as well as a fob for door and printer access.
Lost cards are $25.
People share fobs and knock on doors all the time...it really irritates me.
Post #1504411
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 6:26 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:00 AM
As a consultant I've seen many scenarios.
In some cases the card the card is only necessary to get in. In other cases you need the card as well to go to different floors and use the elevator.
I keep the card usually in my wallet which makes sure I almost never forgot them.

The few times I did forget them (and thus also my wallet), I just checked in at the reception and they gave me a visitors pass. Not really top secret facilities I was working in

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1504421
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 6:39 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:14 PM
I have a card with my photo. It opens the door but don't need it for elevators. It gets deactivated when lost and am issued a new one at no cost. It is supposed to be displayed at all times.
Post #1504425
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 6:48 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:04 AM
Here a lost card is quickly replaceable at HR (I think they charge a few bucks as a deterrent but not sure how much). You can get in at the security office to go to HR.

The concern here is mostly about outsiders. The majority of employees recognize each other anyhow.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1504426
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 7:19 AM
SSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:20 PM
I'm hoping security will be tougher if top secret stuff going on!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1504433
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 7:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:00 AM
Andy Warren (10/14/2013)
I'm hoping security will be tougher if top secret stuff going on!

Most likely.
A colleague of mine had to do a project at a more top secret client, and they did a background check of him, his family and friends.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1504434
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 8:31 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:26 AM
For us, we have security issue a temporary card when you forget yours, If you have lost it they will deactivate the old one and print and issue a new one. Being the person who works with our system I can tell you the proximity badges do cost roughly $5 each. We are contemplating charging for replacements. Our previous system used barcodes and only cost about 25 cents each to print so it wasn't as big a deal to replace them.

Post #1504442
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse