Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Logic to break period of time by month Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:04 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:50 AM
Hi,
Can anybody give me and idea if it's possible, I need to check the following table and do some logic counting period of time but withing each of month, so let say for id=303 with period = 45, I'll get 3 records ,etc:
    303  6/27/13      8/11/13      45
||
\/

1 303 6/27/13 6/30/13 3
2 303 7/01/13 7/31/13 31
3 303 8/01/13 8/11/13 11

Is there any date function to do this in TSQL?
my sample data
with ttt as (
select 123 Id, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-3,getdate()) toDD,
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-3,getdate())) period ,1000 prodID union
select 202 Id, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-17,getdate()) toDD,
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-17,getdate())) period ,2000 prodID union
select 303 Id, DATEADD(d,-55,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()) toDD,
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-55,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-10,getdate())) period ,3000 prodID
)

select * from ttt

Thanks Mario
Post #1487039
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:00 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:14 PM
If you just want the difference between the dates in the two columns
datediff(mm,col1,col2) + 1 to include the first month

eg select datediff(mm,'6/27/13','8/11/13') +1

Cheers

Jamie

We are the pilgrims, master.
We shall go always, a little further.
Post #1487048
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:41 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:53 PM
I believe you can do it something like this.

with ttt as (
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-3,getdate())) period ,1000 prodID union
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-17,getdate())) period ,2000 prodID union
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-55,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-10,getdate())) period ,3000 prodID
),
Tally (n) AS (
SELECT number
FROM [master].dbo.spt_values Tally
WHERE [Type] = 'P' AND Number BETWEEN 1 AND 100)
SELECT id, fromDD=MIN(d.DD), toDD=MAX(d.DD), period=COUNT(*), prodID
FROM ttt a
CROSS APPLY (SELECT n FROM Tally WHERE n BETWEEN 1 AND period+1) c
CROSS APPLY (SELECT [month]=DATEPART(month, a.fromDD+n-1),DD=CAST(a.fromDD+n-1 AS DATE)) d
GROUP BY id, prodID, [month]

Note that if you have a period > 100 days, then you'll need a bigger Tally table (examples abound). You can also do this with a Calendar table but that might be a little harder to explain.

Not sure if you really need that last CAST to DATE but you did show your expected results as a DATE and not a DATETIME.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1487064
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:14 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

see familiar fish, Thanks so much Dwain !!!!

Best
M
Post #1487085
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Is it possible to assign level (count for how many parts (months) it was broken for each ID),

303 6/27/13 8/11/13 45
||
\/
level
1 303 6/27/13 6/30/13 3
2 303 7/01/13 7/31/13 31
3 303 8/01/13 8/11/13 11

Tx again,
Jamie thansk for your post. I got you point, then I can do inpivot.

Best
mario
Post #1487091
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:24 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

mario17 (8/22/2013)
Is it possible to assign level (count for how many parts (months) it was broken for each ID),

303 6/27/13 8/11/13 45
||
\/
level
1 303 6/27/13 6/30/13 3
2 303 7/01/13 7/31/13 31
3 303 8/01/13 8/11/13 11

Tx again,
Jamie thansk for your post. I got you point, then I can do inpivot.

Best
mario

Add an outer select to get a ROW_NUMBER():

SELECT Level=ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY id ORDER BY fromdd) 
,id, fromDD, toDD, period, prodID
FROM (
SELECT id, fromDD=MIN(d.DD), toDD=MAX(d.DD), period=COUNT(*), prodID
FROM ttt a
CROSS APPLY (SELECT n FROM Tally WHERE n BETWEEN 1 AND period+1) c
CROSS APPLY (SELECT [month]=DATEPART(month, a.fromDD+n-1),DD=CAST(a.fromDD+n-1 AS DATE)) d
GROUP BY id, prodID, [month]
) a

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Post #1487182
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:36 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:26 PM
You should use your own tally table, either a permanent one or a dynamically generated one. Since the permanent one would be clustered on the tally value, it might give better performance. I'm using a tally CTE in the code below to allow it to be run independently.
[Reason: Aside from the danger that master.dbo.spt_values could be modified, or removed, at any time by MS, you don't want your application needing authority to read from the master db to be able to run!]

You can then do an INNER JOIN to the tally table to expand the months; the tally value conveniently also provides the level -- nice!

;WITH ttt AS (
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-3,getdate())) period ,1000 prodID union all
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-17,getdate())) period ,2000 prodID union all
),--select * from ttt
cteDigits AS (
SELECT 0 AS digit UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 2 UNION ALL SELECT 3 UNION ALL SELECT 4 UNION ALL
SELECT 5 UNION ALL SELECT 6 UNION ALL SELECT 7 UNION ALL SELECT 8 UNION ALL SELECT 9
),
cteTally AS (
SELECT [10s].digit * 10 + [1s].digit AS tally
FROM cteDigits [1s]
CROSS JOIN cteDigits [10s]
)
SELECT
t.tally + 1 AS Level,
ttt.Id,
CONVERT(varchar(8),
CASE WHEN t.tally = 0 THEN ttt.fromDD ELSE DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, ttt.fromDD) + t.tally, 0) END
, 1) AS fromDD,
CONVERT(varchar(8),
CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, ttt.fromDD, ttt.toDD) = 0 OR DATEADD(MONTH, t.tally, ttt.fromDD) > ttt.toDD THEN ttt.toDD
ELSE DATEADD(DAY, -1, DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, ttt.fromDD) + t.tally + 1, 0)) END
, 1) AS toDD,
DATEDIFF(DAY,
CASE WHEN t.tally = 0 THEN ttt.fromDD ELSE DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, ttt.fromDD) + t.tally, 0) END,
CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, ttt.fromDD, ttt.toDD) = 0 OR DATEADD(MONTH, t.tally, ttt.fromDD) > ttt.toDD THEN ttt.toDD
ELSE DATEADD(DAY, -1, DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, ttt.fromDD) + t.tally + 1, 0)) END) + 1 AS Period
FROM ttt
INNER JOIN cteTally t ON
t.tally BETWEEN 0 AND DATEDIFF(MONTH, ttt.fromDD, ttt.toDD)
ORDER BY
Id, Level

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

Carl Sagan said: "There is no such thing as a dumb question." Sagan obviously never watched a congressional hearing!
Post #1487577
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 5:24 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks, Scott
Your code works fine, and much easy to digest ( or learn if you will), amazing.. and thanks again to you and Dwain for sharing this, sure you can read this in books...-)

BTW, Scott
your code produces not correct results if you go beyound 210 days or so, I played with it and found this.
So curious why/where it could happened, tally I think works just fine, it has 100 rows ( for 100 days?), but it still works fine on d,-209 and start breaking on d,-210. (toDD = today = getdate().

You can see looking at toDD for last level, it set to 8/31/13

select 303 Id, DATEADD(d,-210,getdate()) fromDD,  getdate() toDD,  
datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-210,getdate()), getdate()) period ,3000 prodID

Best to all
M
Post #1488072
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 5:44 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Dwain,

trying to reverse eng your super code, is this a place to use Cross Apply ONLY, or could be done with Join.
I can't get second Cross Apply

--CROSS APPLY (SELECT n FROM Tally WHERE n BETWEEN 1 AND period+1) c
inner join #Tally on N between 1 and Period+1

Thank again
M
Post #1488075
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 8:10 PM

Hall of Fame

mario17 (8/23/2013)
Dwain,

trying to reverse eng your super code, is this a place to use Cross Apply ONLY, or could be done with Join.
I can't get second Cross Apply

--CROSS APPLY (SELECT n FROM Tally WHERE n BETWEEN 1 AND period+1) c
inner join #Tally on N between 1 and Period+1

Thank again
M

INNER JOIN like that should work assuming your Tally table is in a temporary table. I have a preference for CROSS APPLY.

Are you saying you don't understand what the second CROSS APPLY is doing?

Basically it just does some intermediate calculations. [month] is just the month number which is used later to group the results. DD is the start date + the tally value (-1 to adjust the offset so first n=0).

My advice:

Post #1488081
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse