Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The Costs of Data Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:58 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Costs of Data

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1487025
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
NM.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1487049
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:37 PM
I'm sorry - but IMHO you start with a basic premise that I disagree with ... the government right or responsibility to collect data. Where in the US Constitution does it authorize government to collect data? ... and I'm not just talking about this from a NSA / Security standpoint but also from an economic / business point of view. In collecting this data government has started to complete with private enterprise.
Post #1487239
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:47 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:05 AM
JBrosch (8/22/2013)
I'm sorry - but IMHO you start with a basic premise that I disagree with ... the government right or responsibility to collect data. Where in the US Constitution does it authorize government to collect data? ... and I'm not just talking about this from a NSA / Security standpoint but also from an economic / business point of view. In collecting this data government has started to complete with private enterprise.

The Commerce Clause and the Census clause. And whether or not you think the collection activities meet Constitutional muster is pretty much irrelevant, because the data is being collected, and it has to be dealt with. Keep in mind that these programs have existed long enough for anyone who objects to bring action to have them stopped, which implies they are Constitutional.
Post #1487264
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:50 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
Don't get caught up in the politics here. This isn't a debate over government collecting data. The point in the editorial was about research and other data the government has being shared. The information wants to be free, but there are real costs to exposing, storing, managing, etc. the ever expanding amount of data.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1487317
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 6:44 AM
I'm reminded of that scene in Star Trek II where Kirk goes to Spock and says something to the effect of: "These trainees of yours, how good are they really? How would they respond under real pressure?"

Spock replied: "As with all living things: Each according to his gifts."

IT has weathered similar scenarios in the past, and we are to some extent victims of our own success. It wasn't that long ago you almost had to have on-site IT support because remote support tools (and their associated networks) hadn't matured. As those tools matured and became less expensive fewer people could support more systems and end users in more locations. Now it's not at all unusual for someone to offer end user support to someone literally half a world away.

To be certain, the real costs of collecting, storing, managing and disseminating data are rising. And while funding does need to be addressed, it is equally important to look for the opportunities to come up with ways to mitigate those costs, whether it is new technology or new business models or something entirely different.

Of course, that leads us right back to if we find ways to "do more with less" then we will be expected to "DO MORE with less".

Finally, there is the sales & marketing issue. Businesses are looking to improve and gain competitive edge, and the current "Big Data" hype is a prime example. My own company had a town hall with the GM not long ago and he stated he flat out told sales "don't sell anything we can't f-ing deliver." I mean he LITERALLY used the word and everyone's jaws dropped. It's a challenge, but managing everyone's expectations and understanding of what our products/services can and can't do is critical.

Post #1487382
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:56 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:04 AM
Jeff Moden (8/21/2013)
NM.

NM?

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1487460
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:00 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:54 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/22/2013)
Don't get caught up in the politics here. This isn't a debate over government collecting data. The point in the editorial was about research and other data the government has being shared. The information wants to be free, but there are real costs to exposing, storing, managing, etc. the ever expanding amount of data.

When has government ever been concerned with the 'real costs' of anything? A business would be required to carefully evaluate these 'costs' and make good decisions regard how much data they will manage and make sure their billing to the end user covers these costs or they will lose customers or bankrupt the business.

Government merely borrows (or prints) more money to pay for what they want to do regardless of any cost justification. Anyone working and earning a paycheck is paying for it via inflation (which is a tax). When there is no accountability you get poor decision making, waste and bloat. No good business could survive such a business model.

All this massive data collection going on will eventually implode on itself.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.
Post #1487463
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:04 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
Miles Neale (8/22/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/21/2013)
NM.

NM?

Sorry... it means "Never Mind". I wrote a post that was taking out a highly controversial personal frustration (not about the post but inspired by the post) and thought the better of it after I posted it. Since we can't delete posts on this forum, I scrubbed the post with the "NM" entry.

As you can see from the post that follows my "NM" post, there are a great number of people that make the subject I was going to bring up so very "highly controversial". It's just not appropriate for this thread which is really about the cost of sharing data.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1487538
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:59 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:04 AM
Thanks Jeff, I know what you mean about starting to write or posting and then rethinking it.

And yes it is a potentially a hot topic.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1487587
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse