Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Worst Practices - Assigning Users Rights Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, November 02, 2001 12:00 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/wp_userrights.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1485
Posted Monday, November 05, 2001 2:37 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:38 AM
Whole heartedly agree.

I also remove all rights assigned to the PUBLIC group/role so that a user has to be explicitly associated with a specific role. You don't come in one morning and find a strange IUSR_WebServer user in your database!

I also use NT security with a lot of my database, but NOT the NT administrators group.

I'm fortunate in that I can dictate exactly what goes on in my database so I also remove any direct on tables so that everything has to come via stored procedures.

I find that once my developers see the performance increase of stored procedures and realise how much simpler a stored procedure makes their life I find they become absolute zealots on the subject!

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #23245
Posted Monday, November 05, 2001 5:11 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
Very well said!

I totally agree. The arguments I get are "this is the only user I'll ever need" which usually occurs because the developer will be using a sql login embedded in the application. This isn't a bad argument, as arguments go. The other is "no other user will need these exact permissions/it takes TOOOOO much time to make a role for just one person, why would you do that". Not a good argument.

I definitely agree with David about removing access to Public! Stored procedures aren't always an option, depending on how/who/when the app was built.

I thought the reasons you presented were sound - much better than the other knucklehead who rights worst practices articles...what's his name again?

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #23246
Posted Monday, November 05, 2001 8:27 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I think that other knuckclehead was Genghis Warren.

Glad you guys agree. This is one area that I think causes more problems than it solves.

I hate embedding logins in an application. At the least, it should be in a text file (can be encrypted) so it can be changed. Nothing worse than a security breach causing an app to be recompiled. Especially if you have distributed this to clients.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23247
Posted Monday, November 05, 2001 8:37 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

The problem with embedding login/password is there arent any simple good alternatives (depending on your definition of simple and good). If you're going to encrypt something, do it well or you might be making it worse instead of better.

I'd like to see a discussion of the alternatives.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #23248
Posted Monday, November 05, 2001 11:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I agree there isn't a good alternative. IMHO, it's poor practice to allow an application to log in without requiring a user to log in as well.

The only good solution I saw, was an app that logged into a login server and submitted a user/pwd. The result set then "told" the app where to go for the real database. Hard part here was replicating login information.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23249
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2001 7:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:20 PM
I have removed the BUILTIN/Administrators group, since our hardware people are NT admins and don't really need them rootin around in SQL. I also have created several groups, General Users, Confidential Data Viewers, etc…, but I also have a few singled out users that I assign rights to on an individual basis. Most are Admins, but on occasion we have visiting engineers that revolve around the company that require changes to their access almost daily, then they are gone. I find it easier to adjust their rights as needed then to create a group for a one time thing.

- Vega
Post #23250
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2001 9:26 AM
SSCertifiable

But how much longer would it take to do it "the right" way?

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #23251
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2001 10:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:20 PM
1 user in 1 group, whats the difference?

- Vega
Post #23252
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2001 11:10 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Where there's one, there will often be more. What's wrong with having a Eng1 group and adjusting the rights there? If they leave, you are no worse off. If they come back or someone takes their place, then you are covered. You can also remove teh user and leave the role.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #23253
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse