Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using Biml as an SSIS Design Patterns Engine – Level 4 Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:49 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using Biml as an SSIS Design Patterns Engine – Level 4

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1484063
Posted Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:10 PM
The first foreach loop does not have the corresponding <# } #> closure. This results in biml validation errors when generating the SSIS packages

Severity Description Recommendation Line Column
Error } expected 524 2

This is resolved by adding the <# } #> line just above the </Packages> endtag.
Post #1484822
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 6:05 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:24 PM
Thank you, Andy, for the article and thank you, ehancen, for the pointing out the bug in the BIML.

My local instance of SQL Server is a named instance, so I had to change from (local) server name to SERVER\INSTANCE, but it didn't work. Then I realized that I needed to double up on the slashes: SERVER\\INSTANCE, however it still didn't work (this time with a different error). I eventually connected to a server with a default instance and everything worked, but it would be interesting to know how to connect to named instances.

Thank you!

Post #1485424
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:48 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:56 AM
Really hoping that a future article can give us a bit more detail on what you're using to build these scripts or where you learn to use the various C# functionality. My BIML worked, but I never did get rid of the errors and warnings in the file. I can see the logic behind what you did, but seems like I'm missing something in how we would do this without a more fundamental understanding or a better tool. (Saw the Varigence tool, but that's a harder sell per license. :) )

Anyway, I get the power and am really interested in learning more. I look forward to learning how we get from Article #3 to Article #4. There was a huge jump in the use of BIML between those two articles. Thanks for writing and bringing us along.

Post #1486479
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:28 AM
This article helped me get rid of the xml validation errors http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12259217/visual-studio-2012-t4-templates-generating-xml-gives-error
i.e. Solution Explorer > Right Click on .biml file > Open With > Source Code Editor [Set as Default], but the formatting is not as intuitive

Post #1496571
Posted Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:49 AM
Hello.

There is a mistake in post.

In "Listing 6 – Adding the Packages Node and Starting a Loop" loop defined, but never get closing tag.
There must be tag " <# } #> " before "</Packages>" right behind "</Package>" .
Post #1588907
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:43 AM
With a named instance use a double slash only in the "CreateConnectionNode()" function and not in the <Connections> section.
Post #1591123
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse