Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using Biml as an SSIS Design Patterns Engine – Level 4 Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:15 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using Biml as an SSIS Design Patterns Engine – Level 4

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1484063
Posted Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:10 PM
The first foreach loop does not have the corresponding <# } #> closure. This results in biml validation errors when generating the SSIS packages

Severity Description Recommendation Line Column
Error } expected 524 2

This is resolved by adding the <# } #> line just above the </Packages> endtag.
Post #1484822
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 6:05 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:37 AM
Thank you, Andy, for the article and thank you, ehancen, for the pointing out the bug in the BIML.

My local instance of SQL Server is a named instance, so I had to change from (local) server name to SERVER\INSTANCE, but it didn't work. Then I realized that I needed to double up on the slashes: SERVER\\INSTANCE, however it still didn't work (this time with a different error). I eventually connected to a server with a default instance and everything worked, but it would be interesting to know how to connect to named instances.

Thank you!

Post #1485424
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:48 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
Really hoping that a future article can give us a bit more detail on what you're using to build these scripts or where you learn to use the various C# functionality. My BIML worked, but I never did get rid of the errors and warnings in the file. I can see the logic behind what you did, but seems like I'm missing something in how we would do this without a more fundamental understanding or a better tool. (Saw the Varigence tool, but that's a harder sell per license. :) )

Anyway, I get the power and am really interested in learning more. I look forward to learning how we get from Article #3 to Article #4. There was a huge jump in the use of BIML between those two articles. Thanks for writing and bringing us along.

Post #1486479
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:34 AM
This article helped me get rid of the xml validation errors http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12259217/visual-studio-2012-t4-templates-generating-xml-gives-error
i.e. Solution Explorer > Right Click on .biml file > Open With > Source Code Editor [Set as Default], but the formatting is not as intuitive

Post #1496571
Posted Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:38 AM
Hello.

There is a mistake in post.

In "Listing 6 – Adding the Packages Node and Starting a Loop" loop defined, but never get closing tag.
There must be tag " <# } #> " before "</Packages>" right behind "</Package>" .
Post #1588907
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:40 AM
With a named instance use a double slash only in the "CreateConnectionNode()" function and not in the <Connections> section.
Post #1591123
Posted Friday, September 19, 2014 6:54 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
Conceptually, how would you handle NULL DB values going through this process when you hit the Conditional Split transform? Would you ensure there were no NULL values by tweaking the source queries? Would you throw additional NULL checks in the expression? We have several columns that allow NULL that would go through something like this and I'm curious what others are doing to get around that? It runs fine until we try to compare a NULL to something else in that expression.

Post #1615479
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse