Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Balloons and Data Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
I don't have a good way to test this anymore. But at my last job we would do a data load once a month that consisted of text files that had millions of rows and 30-60 columns to about 60 matching tables.

I would purposely grow the tempdb files ahead of time. Then do a shrink afterward. It seemed to work well.

Was that a bad idea?

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1482622
Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
Right sizing log files and datafiles for the FULL recovery model is a far bigger PITA than TempDB will ever be, IMHO. For example, even if you tell the system to "Sort In TempDB" when you go to do a clustered index rebuild on a very large table and you have Point-In-Time log backups running every 10 minutes, your log file can grow to several times the size of the original table during the process for a multitude of reasons. That's not to mention the bloat that it will cause in the MDF file while it makes a copy of the index.

Of course, there's the fragmentation nightmare that occurs if you try to shrink a database.

All in all, there are some serious shortcomings that MS has continued to ignore on index maintenance over the years resulting in Balloons that appear to have check valves in the in the inflation tubes.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1482634
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 9:12 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:48 PM
I have a job kicks off every 5 minutes and queries active requests and joins session info, t-sql statement, cpu/io/duration, etc. into a table on my local instance. Also, a while back I added tempdb and transaction log usage, so I can monitor and archive that as well.
Adding an index here and there can switch hash joins or sort operations to merge joins, and not only speed up processing but also use less tempdb allocation. To reduce transaction logging, look for procedures that perform multiple updates and consolidate them into one single update.
Post #1482806
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 9:45 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:15 AM
Jim P. (8/8/2013)
I don't have a good way to test this anymore. But at my last job we would do a data load once a month that consisted of text files that had millions of rows and 30-60 columns to about 60 matching tables.

I would purposely grow the tempdb files ahead of time. Then do a shrink afterward. It seemed to work well.

Was that a bad idea?

Over time there has been one test I have done to answer this question and many like it: Did it work? If the answer is yes then it was a good solution. Was it the best solution? Does not matter, it worked and you cleaned up the effects after. Done!

M...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1482832
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 9:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:12 AM
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)
Right sizing log files and datafiles for the FULL recovery model is a far bigger PITA than TempDB will ever be, IMHO. For example, even if you tell the system to "Sort In TempDB" when you go to do a clustered index rebuild on a very large table and you have Point-In-Time log backups running every 10 minutes, your log file can grow to several times the size of the original table during the process for a multitude of reasons. That's not to mention the bloat that it will cause in the MDF file while it makes a copy of the index.

Of course, there's the fragmentation nightmare that occurs if you try to shrink a database.

All in all, there are some serious shortcomings that MS has continued to ignore on index maintenance over the years resulting in Balloons that appear to have check valves in the in the inflation tubes.

Sounds like a good article (hint, hint)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1482836
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 11:22 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/9/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)

It's a complex subject so it might take a while to put together but an article on the subject is a good idea. I might just take that on and include snippets of the real life partitioning example that I've been writing code for to help alleviate such problems.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1482867
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 5:05 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:15 AM
Jeff Moden (8/9/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)

It's a complex subject so it might take a while to put together but an article on the subject is a good idea. I might just take that on and include snippets of the real life partitioning example that I've been writing code for to help alleviate such problems.

Not just "might just", please. Write it, no "might" about it, please.

Tom
Post #1482976
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 8:07 PM

SSC-Dedicated

L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/9/2013)
Jeff Moden (8/8/2013)

Not just "might just", please. Write it, no "might" about it, please.

Gosh... With encouragement like that, how can I say "No"? I just hope I can do the subject justice. Someone like Gail (she knows the internals far better than I) would do a much better job on this subject but I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1482990
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse