Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Partitioning - Sliding Window (Switching) and Always On - Advice Please! Expand / Collapse
Author

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 2:57 AM
Hi

I couldn't seem to find a forum for this, so picked this one as seemed to be the closest.

I've been looking round for a while on this but I'm either looking in the wrong places or there is not much out there.

I am looking at a partitioning a large table with millions or rows per month and would like to implement a sliding window technique or switching a months worth of data into an archive table every month.

In terms of the technique I'm OK with that (although if anyone has any advice then please feel free to chirp up). What I am not sure about is this, the DB will be participating in a Availability Group 1 Synchronous Replica and 2 Asynchronous Replicas , what kind of effect will this have on DB's / Availability Group?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe
Post #1479888
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 1:57 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 2:57 AM
Hmm no takers? Looks like I will be the first person ever to try Partition Sliding with Always On.....

==========================================================================================================================
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe
Post #1480294
Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:36 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 1:55 PM
I'd say you are the second

I'm setting up an Always On Group these weeks.
I also have some large tables that are partitioned by month. The database ist part of the Always On Group.

My first test of switching out an partition into another table worked fine at the first try. The partition was empty but the whole process worked.
The next time we have a partition full with data. I do not expect any problems as the mechanism of the sliding window seems to work. The interesting thing is: We use synchonous mode. How long will the transaction of switching out the table really need and what does this mean for the primary replica? How long will it be "non writeable". As our network connection between the primary and the only secondary replica is quite strong I do not expect any problems here neither.

In the end this means for me: As the sliding window itself works great it seems to be like on any "non-always-on-database", only to keep in mind the any transaction has to be committed from the secondary replica when using synchronous data transfer.
Post #1480714
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse