Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

DBCC CHECKDB Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:06 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBCC CHECKDB

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1479264
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:00 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:27 PM
Thanks Steve

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1479267
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:16 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:34 AM
Nice question,........
Thanks Steve

Post #1479269
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:33 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:12 AM
Good question.... I wish to Share some of the points:

->DBCC CHECKDB - Checks the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database.

->DBCC CHECKALLOC – Checks the consistency of disk space allocation structures for a specified database.

->DBCC CHECKTABLE – Checks the integrity of all the pages and structures that make up the table or indexed view.

->DBCC CHECKCATALOG – Checks for catalog consistency within the specified database. The database must be online.

Post #1479282
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
DivyaMohankumar (7/30/2013)

->DBCC CHECKDB - Checks the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database.

->DBCC CHECKALLOC – Checks the consistency of disk space allocation structures for a specified database.

->DBCC CHECKTABLE – Checks the integrity of all the pages and structures that make up the table or indexed view.

->DBCC CHECKCATALOG – Checks for catalog consistency within the specified database. The database must be online.

Good question. And thanks divya for this information.

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #1479289
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:51 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:13 AM
Hello Steve,

Please clarify my following concern about this question..

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

Checks the current identity value for the specified table and, if needed, corrects the identity value.

Reference : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258817(v=sql.80).aspx

Regards,
K.K.Karuppusamy
Post #1479302
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:52 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:20 AM
DivyaMohankumar (7/30/2013)

Definitely a simple good question for a recap. And good one liners from DivyaMohan.
Post #1479303
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:32 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:16 AM
Great reminder question - thanks Steve.
Post #1479319
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:34 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:28 PM
karuppusamy.kk (7/31/2013)

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

The short and simple answer: because Microsoft didn't build DBCC CHECKDB to include CHECKIDENT.

The longer and more useful answer: DBCC CHECKDB is intended to test the integrity of the database. The errors it finds are the errors that can cause the database to go corrupt. If there are no corruptions in the database, DBCC CHECKDB will do nothing. If there are errors, if may attempt to repair them with as little side effects as possible.
Contrast that the DBCC CHECKIDENT. This doesn't test for corruption; it tests for specific situations in user tables that may be a sign of inconssitencies, but definitely not of corruption. If DBCC CHECKIDENT "repairs" issues it finds, it will have a side effect on the user data (i.e. it affects identity values to be assigned in the future).

Bottom line - DBCC CHECKIDENT is too different from the intended use of DBCC CHECKDB to be included in it.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1479344
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:04 AM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:34 AM
Hugo Kornelis (7/31/2013)
karuppusamy.kk (7/31/2013)

Why not DBCC CHECKIDENT?

The short and simple answer: because Microsoft didn't build DBCC CHECKDB to include CHECKIDENT.

The longer and more useful answer: DBCC CHECKDB is intended to test the integrity of the database. The errors it finds are the errors that can cause the database to go corrupt. If there are no corruptions in the database, DBCC CHECKDB will do nothing. If there are errors, if may attempt to repair them with as little side effects as possible.
Contrast that the DBCC CHECKIDENT. This doesn't test for corruption; it tests for specific situations in user tables that may be a sign of inconssitencies, but definitely not of corruption. If DBCC CHECKIDENT "repairs" issues it finds, it will have a side effect on the user data (i.e. it affects identity values to be assigned in the future).

Bottom line - DBCC CHECKIDENT is too different from the intended use of DBCC CHECKDB to be included in it.

+1

Post #1479353
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse