Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Adding new files to a log-shipped database (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:51 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Adding new files to a log-shipped database (SQL Spackle)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1460534
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:50 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:36 AM
All so much easier if you just spend an hour or 2 writing your own logshipping routines.

Post #1460612
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:28 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:17 AM
RichB (6/6/2013)
All so much easier if you just spend an hour or 2 writing your own logshipping routines.

Agreed - but this is still easy to add a new file after you have been running for a while when new files are added without starting over from a full restore.
Post #1460653
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:04 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
I wrote my own log shipping routines right down to duplicating the monitor report. I thought it was slick and it all worked very well but all I did was reinvent the wheel.

Cheers
Post #1460675
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:40 AM
Mimicking the primary volumes on the secondary isn't always possible. Sometimes you have to work with what you are given. I log ship about 500 primary databases from 40 or so remote servers to a single local secondary server that I run tape backups off of. That secondary server has only one enormous data drive - E:. Most of the primary servers are default instances with data on the D: drive, and on top of that many of them have the same database and file names.

I ended up doing some custom scripting to implement this but I'm using the shrink wrapped log shipping and monitor routines. I just automated the creation of the 500+ log shipping configurations.
Post #1460705
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:23 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:07 AM
Nice article Wayne. But more importantly, CONGRATS ON THE MCM CERTIFICATION!!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1460793
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

TheSQLGuru (6/6/2013)
Nice article Wayne. But more importantly, CONGRATS ON THE MCM CERTIFICATION!!

Thanks (for both) Kevin.

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1460818
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:19 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
Yes, congrats on that. It is a very big deal indeed!

Cheers
Post #1460825
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:09 PM
SSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:39 AM
Wayne, good write up and super congrats on the MCM!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1460915
Posted Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:46 PM

SSCertifiable

Thanks Andy

Wayne
Post #1460924
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse