Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

A Beginners Look at Hadoop Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Beginners Look at Hadoop

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1460038
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 6:04 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:09 AM
Nice article, but I doubt I have the confidence to try this at home...
Post #1460189
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
paul s-306273 (6/5/2013)
Nice article, but I doubt I have the confidence to try this at home...

With Virtual Box and Ubuntu its pretty easy to get started with Linux.
Using the Cloudera image is also very easy.

If you cock it all you will lose is a bit of disk space until such time as you delete the virtual image. Well, maybe a couple of evenings as well!

The only reason I haven't got it running on my home PC is that I've got an ancient 32bit PC with 3GB RAM running Windows XP and cannot run the Cloudera versions after CDH3 and CDH4.1 onwards are the ones where you have a GUI to play with.

Have a look at the SQLBits website for Justin Langford's presentation on HDInsight. Again, its very easy to install this on a Windows box and get started. The idea is that you have a local instance even though it is just one node. It's good enough to try the mechanical bits and bobs even if you haven't got the benefit of the full map-reduce.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1460219
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:15 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:09 AM
Okay - I'll try that when I have some free evenings.

Thanks David.
Post #1460221
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:19 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 2:40 PM
You might also want to take a look at Splunk. I've heard good things about its ability to analyze gigabytes of data quickly. http://www.splunk.com/?r=header
Post #1460250
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:06 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:52 AM
Great article, the first I've read that clearly and simply explains what Hadoop is. Thanks
Post #1460318
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 9:42 AM
Great article!! Do you think it is worth learning a little bit of Java for this?
Post #1460343
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:47 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:46 PM
i'm looking at this as well. i've had it with full text indexing for a security log analysis solution i built up over the years. looking at analysis services and hadoop.

playing with SSAS for now and will try hadoop later.

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #1460355
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 10, 2013 10:01 AM
I enjoyed the article. Like others I have been in the Windows world for a very long time, and Linux is something of a new adventure for me. I just finished, with a lot of help from my friends, a RedHat 17 based NAS for my home network.

I am interested in the "WHAT" of Hadoop. As in what would it be used for in business? Would you or someone give some hard examples of uses?

GregDC
Post #1460360
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:00 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 AM
David.Poole (6/5/2013)

Have a look at the SQLBits website for Justin Langford's presentation on HDInsight. Again, its very easy to install this on a Windows box and get started. The idea is that you have a local instance even though it is just one node. It's good enough to try the mechanical bits and bobs even if you haven't got the benefit of the full map-reduce.

Hi David, I attended Justin's talk at SQLBits, don't know if you were also there in person (a good introduction I thought).

I had a quick word with him at the end and asked if there were any good walkthroughs or practical exercises for HDInsight newbies and he recommended this by Cindy Gross: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cindygross/archive/2013/01/31/mash-up-hive-sql-server-data-in-powerpivot-amp-power-view-hurricane-sandy-2012.aspx

I haven't had a chance to work through it yet but may well do soon, like yourself I've recently got a Linux installation up and running (Fedora) but suspect that the MS version will be a gentler learning curve to start off with.
Post #1460428
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse