Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Rendering PDFs Natively in SQL Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rendering PDFs Natively in SQL
Post #1450389
Posted Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:18 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:22 AM
Title is misleading, I think. PDF is generated using .NET CLR not SQL.
Post #1450392
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:20 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 4:25 AM
FileFoundException (5/7/2013)

It was the use of the word 'rendering' that puzzled me - I think that 'generating' is better, as you suggest.

Nonetheless, I'm sure that this will be a useful technique for many people.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1450467
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:25 AM
Nice article David and very timely.
We are looking to produce something very similar and this will be a great help.

Mark Harby
Nottingham. UK
Post #1450474
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:38 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:08 AM

Agree... and since it is I'd probably never put it on the SQL Server. Cool that you can incorporate stuff like this but I'd put it on an application server instead.
Post #1450568
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, December 06, 2013 7:49 AM
Ok, you already alluded to the fact that others would disagree with you.

I hope your company does not have too much success. If they do, it is possible your SQL Server will not be able to handle the load, and you will have only one option...scale up; buy a larger SQL Server.

For this reason, this kind of work is most commonly performed outside the database.

Your concern regarding coupon tampering is extremely valid, and the transaction capability is also included. That being said, there is literally nothing keeping you from generating this as a Web Service, or WCF application, allowing the protection you require, transactional capabilities, and scalability. It would be completely inside the firewall.

If cost is an issue, you could initially run the service on your SQL Server; just not in the SQL Server process. Then, when your company has an explosion or grows beyond your capacity, you host the PDF generation in a web farm inside your firewall, calling it from your web servers just as you do the database today.

Frankly, it is very cool what you can do with the CLR inside SQL. This is a great demonstration of how flexible it is. But, just like using Indexed views to solve a bad schema, this is also not a great choice.

Write more...you communicate very well.

Cheers,

Ben
Post #1450569
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:47 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:58 PM

I would agree. I create PDFs via SSRS but was hoping something other than another tool. A native solution is what I was hoping to read about.
Post #1450571
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:50 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:18 PM
taylor_benjamin (5/8/2013)
I hope your company does not have too much success. If they do, it is possible your SQL Server will not be able to handle the load, and you will have only one option...scale up; buy a larger SQL Server.

What a horrible thing to tell someone. Please post somthing soon so everyone can wish you well also.
#@#%er @$$

As for the author. Awesome article and display of CLR uses. In a world where I have a Hyper-V SQL servers that can expand to 64 CPU's and 128GB+ RAM this would be a great solution for some of our daily automated emails and a lot lighter weight than other server side solutions. Don't pay any attention to the app develeper hate. The more your front end application servers are only tasked with UI Facade renedring the easier it is to scale any application. Good Job offloading.
Post #1450620
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:09 AM
Thanks for the post I have been doing this with SSRS
Post #1450638
Posted Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:18 AM
I think a disclaimer with the article would be fitting. Something that warns the reader about the implications for scaling this solution.
If your mirroring your database CLR procs create overhead for DBA's or your automated deployment depending on what you use.
I have used them in the past I would think hard about my options before using them again.
Post #1450666
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse