Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL 2012 AG/FCI Failover Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:17 AM
SQLSACT (4/16/2013)
Perry Whittle (4/16/2013)
SQLSACT (4/16/2013)
Because Node1 has SQL installed as nonclustered, is it safe to say that it's not absolutely necessay to share DTC across all 3 nodes.

yes you could argue that. But since all 3 nodes are in the same cluster on the same site the DTC resource would be even more highly available. It depends on your requirements for DTC, also under Windows 2008 you may now have multiple DTC resources whereas you couldn't under Windows 2003.

SQLSACT (4/16/2013)
If I failover my AG to Node1, if DTC is needed when the AG is running on Node1, won't it just use the DTC service on that server?

Thanks

Yes, but what about an inflight transaction that was in process at the time, that will not be recoverable by the local DTC.

Thanks

Yes, but what about an inflight transaction that was in process at the time, that will not be recoverable by the local DTC

Makes sense - Thanks

Do inflight transactions exist if the failover of an AG - I thought it only existed when an instance of SQL Server is failed over to another node
Post #1442687
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:35 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:56 PM
yes but i'm assuming you'll have other databases that are not part of the AO group or even other instances that may use DTC, if you don't then don't worry. As i said its your choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1442694
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:39 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Thanks for your help
Post #1442696
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

No problem, don't forget to check the pre reqs and restrictions carefully, it can save you a whole lot of time later on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1443103
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:07 AM
Ten Centuries

• FCIs do not support automatic failover by availability groups: FCIs do not support automatic failover by availability groups, so any availability replica that is hosted by an FCI can be configured for manual failover only.

• [/quote]

Hi Perry

I know this post is a few weeks old, I just wanted to run something by you.

So I understand that when combining FCI with AG, automatic database failover is gone, but you still have automatic instance failover. Am I correct in this?

When you have an AG with no FCI, you have automatic database failover but no instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Are you aware of any way to achieve automatic failover of an instance and database using 2012 AlwaysOn functionality?

Thanks
    Post #1450062
    Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)
    So I understand that when combining FCI with AG, automatic database failover is gone

Yes that is correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)
    but you still have automatic instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Yes correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)
    When you have an AG with no FCI, you have automatic database failover but no instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)[hrAre you aware of any way to achieve automatic failover of an instance and database using 2012 AlwaysOn functionality?

Thanks

Not immediately, no

Post #1450278
    Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:17 AM
    Ten Centuries

Thanks Perry
    Post #1450415
    Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:17 AM
    Ten Centuries

Perry Whittle (5/7/2013)
    SQLSACT (5/7/2013)
    So I understand that when combining FCI with AG, automatic database failover is gone

Yes that is correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)
    but you still have automatic instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Yes correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

Correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)[hrAre you aware of any way to achieve automatic failover of an instance and database using 2012 AlwaysOn functionality?

Thanks

Not immediately, no

Thanks Perry

One more thing, previously I have set up an AG combined with FCI

Now, I am setting up an AG with no FCI - Because both nodes are in the same cluster, I am assuming that I still need 2 drives presented to both servers, one for Quorum (For node and disk majority) and one for DTC. Correct?

Thanks
    Post #1450430
    Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:24 AM

SSCertifiable

SQLSACT (5/8/2013)

Now, I am setting up an AG with no FCI - Because both nodes are in the same cluster, I am assuming that I still need 2 drives presented to both servers, one for Quorum (For node and disk majority) and one for DTC. Correct?

Thanks

If you intend to use a disk for your quorum resource then yes it needs to be presented to each node in the cluster. Similarly, if you intend to make your MSDTC resource highly available across your cluster then the disk needs to be presented to each node.

Post #1450501
    Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:27 AM
    Ten Centuries

Perry Whittle (5/8/2013)
    SQLSACT (5/8/2013)

Thanks

If you intend to use a disk for your quorum resource then yes it needs to be presented to each node in the cluster. Similarly, if you intend to make your MSDTC resource highly available across your cluster then the disk needs to be presented to each node.

Thanks Perry

Do you know whether you can Log Ship a database involved in an AG? This is just for interest sake..

thanks
    Post #1450504
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse