Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Don't Be a Ghost Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Totally agree david about LinkedIn. However, networking should not be just disregarded because of it either. Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" sort of speak.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1442858
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:52 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:43 AM
I didn't disregard it and I use it. To a point. I changed jobs late last year after 17 years at the same company. I went on all of three interviews before getting an offer. I got the job because my resume wasn't a work of fiction and I was totally prepared for the interview. LinkedIn had nothing to do with it though I saw the hiring manager looked me up as part of due diligence.

Cheers
Post #1442862
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:05 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
cdonlan 18448 (4/16/2013)

Well said, sifting through the noise can be tiresome. In my personal experience, personal referrals have landed me almost all of my jobs, so I suppose my 'localized' branding has been effective, but probably wouldn't help me much in a global job search so much.

Got to say this is a big part of your brand. Networking and personal connections. Glad it's worked for you and you might be surprised how wide the reach can be.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1442872
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

jfogel (4/16/2013)
I know the endorsements are largely junk and I know people network. Some just waste time on the Internet. True story.

Agree, I ignore them.

The references and personal letters have a little value, but not a lot.

Post #1442873
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:07 AM

SSC-Dedicated

jfogel (4/16/2013)
I didn't disregard it and I use it. To a point. I changed jobs late last year after 17 years at the same company. I went on all of three interviews before getting an offer. I got the job because my resume wasn't a work of fiction and I was totally prepared for the interview. LinkedIn had nothing to do with it though I saw the hiring manager looked me up as part of due diligence.

Lots of companies and recruiters are actively looking on LinkedIn for people when they need help. Tends to work better than an ad somewhere.

Post #1442875
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:28 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:43 AM
And that is great but I got word out about my search via Monster. I never even looked at a listing on LinkedIn and honestly, never even thought to. I have no problem with people looking for work, making connections, etc however they wish. What I do have a problem with is people insisting that if I don't do it their way I may as well go pack my hobo stick.

Cheers
Post #1442886
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:38 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:09 PM
I used to keep my presence online to a minimum. This kind of hurts the brand trying to be built. I learned that a few years back. I am glad I have changed my perspective on it because it certainly has helped to be more visible online for perspective employers and clients.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1442890
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:43 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:55 PM
I really don't think anyone here is saying that there is only one way to do things. What works for one person may not work for another. This is true in many areas of life. Take what people suggest, try things, discard what doesn't work for you and keep what does.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1442893
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:04 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:45 AM
Is forum presence (of which I have little), really helpful to your brand? Many people use pseudonyms when posting to forums.

I also think many people (again, like myself) are reluctant to post a blog or even a forum reply because it's natural to compare your knowledge to the collective intelligence out there. It's pretty intimidating.
Post #1442962
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:20 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:56 AM
We've become drones to the Internet where Facebook and other such sites allow us to record for posterity our every useless thought and moment.

Networking is an important thing we used to do in person, where we learned to read body language as well as verbal inflection. Sterile words on a page are so damning. I’ve seen more emails cause more fights mostly because most people are not Ernest Hemingway. “I got your misinterpretation right here….”

I say it’s a sad commentary that we now are expected to “post” so that lazy HR types can scan our private thoughts for juicy tidbits they can use against us. My wife had a friend who interviewed for an IT position recently where the HR person demanded she give up her Facebook login. REALLY….

I like to use my colleagues for help when I struggle. TechNet and official resources backed by the makers of the products are much more reliable than asking somebodies “opinion” about how I should be doing something. How do I know that other person even knows what they’re talking about?

You know what they say about opinions, they’re like a...... (interpret the rest)
Post #1442969
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse