Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Strange network behavior causing problems Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:41 PM
Hello everyone

I'm trying to determine an odd problem and I have exhausted most of my capacity with no results... so I'm hoping someone has seen this before. I have both random connection problems and repeatable connection problems, and am not sure if they are related.

I have 2 DB servers (windows 2008 r2, SQL2008 r2) set up with mirroring on my application databases with manual failover.

I (was) running both systems on teamed adapters (4 network ports per server). 2 ports for the primary network (a vlan server only network), 1 port for a crossover between boxes (for the mirror), and 1 port to a physically isolated backup network (my big disk-to-disk-to tape system).

A few weeks ago, I suffered a primary network switch failure. We put a replacement switch in place, loaded the vlan configuration, and went on with life. My application started to report random connection failures. These were not reproducible. I added the application server to my backup network (the one the DB is on), but the problem persisted. I then connected directly via crossover to my app box, and all is well for the application. But a crossover is not a long term solution; failover to the other box will require manual network cable moves. Furthermore, I have other systems that connect to this server via the vlan.

Just yesterday, my BI box started having connection problems. I am able to reproduce it; connections *appear* to fail (using ssms connections to test), but ONLY as the service account user. And when it fails, it comes up with a "could not connect" message... but when you close the message, SSMS is actually connected fine.

All of this started after a network switch failure. Switch has been replaced and is in use. I am not sure where else to look for causes to these connection problems
Post #1437522
Posted Monday, April 01, 2013 4:56 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
My application started to report random connection failures.

We've had similar problems in the past. A good number of them turned out to be that the device was setup with "Auto-Negotiate" turned on. I recommend turning that off if it's on.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1437657
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse