Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Google Reader is shutting down! Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:34 PM
http://googlereader.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/powering-down-google-reader.html

https://www.change.org/petitions/google-inc-please-do-not-shut-down-google-reader

I use it daily to keep track of several SQL blogs and it keeps RSS feeds synchronised between my phone, desktop, laptop, work pc etc. It's going to be a pain if they kill it.
Post #1431346
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:49 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:20 PM
Yeah - a lot of people are unhappy about it.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1431347
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:44 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
foxxo (3/14/2013)

https://www.change.org/petitions/google-inc-please-do-not-shut-down-google-reader

I use it daily to keep track of several SQL blogs and it keeps RSS feeds synchronised between my phone, desktop, laptop, work pc etc. It's going to be a pain if they kill it.

What a brilliant ploy on the part of Google. They got everyone addicted to the tech drug known as "Google Reader" and now they threaten to take it away. Everyone is going to "sign" a petition to keep it. Google will keep it but I'd bet they're going to whine abit about how it's costing them money but will keep it if you pay a "small monthly fee" of maybe just a couple of bucks. You agree to pay a fee for it... which is what they wanted all along and knew you would agree to because it's a handy tool. It so much better than them just coming out and saying "Sorry folks, we have to start charging for this." They wanted to measure the udder of the cash-cow before they bought a new milkstool and they didn't even have to buy a tape measure. The petition does that for free. And let's not forget all the free advertising "Google Reader" is getting out of this. Rumor has it that the "Keep Google Reader" petition actually made CNET.

Absolutely brilliant marketing and manipulation of the masses. I humbly bow before the masters of the money and the human condition.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1431354
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 10:22 AM

SSCoach

Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

What a brilliant ploy on the part of Google. They got everyone addicted to the tech drug known as "Google Reader" and now they threaten to take it away. Everyone is going to "sign" a petition to keep it. Google will keep it but I'd bet they're going to whine abit about how it's costing them money but will keep it if you pay a "small monthly fee" of maybe just a couple of bucks. You agree to pay a fee for it... which is what they wanted all along and knew you would agree to because it's a handy tool. It so much better than them just coming out and saying "Sorry folks, we have to start charging for this." They wanted to measure the udder of the cash-cow before they bought a new milkstool and they didn't even have to buy a tape measure. The petition does that for free. And let's not forget all the free advertising "Google Reader" is getting out of this. Rumor has it that the "Keep Google Reader" petition actually made CNET.

Absolutely brilliant marketing and manipulation of the masses. I humbly bow before the masters of the money and the human condition.

awesome. That is quite an interesting view on it.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1431620
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 10:27 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:28 AM
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

Never used it so I really don't care if they keep it or not.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1431622
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 10:36 AM

SSCoach

Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

You probably don't like milk or cheese either, do you?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1431629
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 10:38 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:28 AM
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

Actually, I do. I especially like pepper jack cheese.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1431633
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 10:42 AM

SSCoach

Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)
SQLRNNR (3/15/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

Actually, I do. I especially like pepper jack cheese.

YUM

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1431638
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:38 AM
Jeff Moden (3/14/2013)
foxxo (3/14/2013)

Maybe. I've moved to Feedly and I'm going to stay there now. I don't trust Google on this topic.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1431882
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse