Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

What to do about a complete lack of jobs? Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:43 PM
Oh, this job is great . It's a similar "style" of job as my old one, in that I'm troubleshooting a third-party vendor's software, but the people here are much more accommodating than my old employer. They're willing to listen to me and consider my approaches in altering functionality and implementing new utilities, which has lead to me developing alternatives to the software's functionality that save tons of time for the users.

I've added a new method for transcription and case alteration that functions in a set-based manner rather than an RBAR manner (users originally had to do one record at a time if they were transcribing; I've implemented an intranet site that allows them to transcribe as many patient records at once as they'd like), and that's increased worker efficiency many times over.

Thanks for asking about my current situation, and many thanks to Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Moden; if I'd limited myself to only trying for jobs that exactly met my abilities, I'd have been stuck in a rut forever. This job was over my head originally, but I've grown into it quite rapidly, and things are looking good

----------------------------------
My journal of things I'm learning about SQL
Post #1487752
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 5:30 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 11:53 AM
hisakimatama (8/23/2013)
Oh, this job is great . It's a similar "style" of job as my old one, in that I'm troubleshooting a third-party vendor's software, but the people here are much more accommodating than my old employer. They're willing to listen to me and consider my approaches in altering functionality and implementing new utilities, which has lead to me developing alternatives to the software's functionality that save tons of time for the users.

I've added a new method for transcription and case alteration that functions in a set-based manner rather than an RBAR manner (users originally had to do one record at a time if they were transcribing; I've implemented an intranet site that allows them to transcribe as many patient records at once as they'd like), and that's increased worker efficiency many times over.

Thanks for asking about my current situation, and many thanks to Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Moden; if I'd limited myself to only trying for jobs that exactly met my abilities, I'd have been stuck in a rut forever. This job was over my head originally, but I've grown into it quite rapidly, and things are looking good

This is fantastic news. Glad that everything worked out eventually.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1487754
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 5:49 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:22 AM
hisakimatama (8/23/2013)

You bet... and it sounds like you've really hit the ground running. Well done. Thank you for the kind words and the feedback.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1487765
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse