Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

So How Do You do your mass Mailings? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:18 AM
I work with some non-profit organisations that use MailChimp for their mailings.

My employer sends out a few million mails per day and uses PowerMTA to process this workload.

The more mails you send out, the more you have to worry about email reputation. Major ISPs will throttle the throughput of emails from a sender with poor or unknown reputation, and allow full speed processing of senders with good reputation.

The main ways to build reputation are a) repeatedly send from the same IP address; b) Do not repeat sending mails to non-existant addresses; c) If your business has the money, work with an established organisation in this field to accellerate building your mail reputation.

The second part part of reputation building means you need to deal with bounced emails. You need to analyse the bounce records and mark bad email addresses so you do not send to them again. Most ISPs will tolerate a small number of repeats to bad addresses, but the more you send the lower your reputation will go.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1437790
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:13 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:00 PM
I've got a lot of experience here. (sorry for being late)

We started as you did, using SQL Server to send mails. This works fine from a capacity standpoint. SQL Server can handle the load. Where you fail is with the compliance and management of mail from there.

We have moved through a few programs (controls and desktop things), to Lyris, to a custom setup.

Personally right now I'd look at some small service that integrates with what features you give people in a database app. I'd spend time building a way for them to create mailings and an interface to send them to a provider of some sort.

Take it from someone that's fought complaints, bounces, blacklists, etc. Use a service.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1438570
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:30 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:25 PM
Jeff Moden (3/28/2013)
OCTom (3/28/2013)
Where I work mass mailings are done using mail merge in MS Word. We set up a data source on the user PC pointing to the SQL table used for the info.

If Word is not available to you Open Office is free and can be used in a similar manner (I've been told this but have not done it).

Tom

Youu beat me too it. I haven't done it in quite a while but Word would merge an address file with a documet file and create 1 document per address. If you were to do a little VBA macro to run an "export" proc from Word, you could make it as easy as the push of a button onscreen.

Yeah, MS Word 97 did a pretty good job for me at the time.
Newer versions, I believe, are capable of doing the same, pretty much.

Automated scheduling is a bit of a problem, but it's not required in this case.
For automated sends over different time zones all over the world sp_makewebtaks (SQL 2000) was very useful:
create template in an editor, leave placeholders for data and schedule a job to run it when you're asleep.

I believe it's still in operation till these days.
Post #1455764
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:13 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 AM
We use a product called StrongMail that queries againt our SQL database. Sorry, but I don't know any details about the process.

Post #1457450
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse