Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Guidance on table valued types. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:02 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 8:04 AM
We have 1 table valued parameter (tvp) coming to GetXXX stored procedures. It contains only 1 column of type uniqueidentifier. Currently, it does not have any index on it. For performance improvement, I was thinking of adding a primary key as clustered index on it. My initial testing showed if there less than 100 records in that tvp then it actually performs worse than the older one which doesn't have any index on it. I was hoping that it would perform same if not better for smaller datasets. Does anybody know if I'm missing anything here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mayur
Post #1425277
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:31 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:04 AM
Hi,

Did you check the query plan? I'm quessing the new index is not being used. Can you give an example on the query you are using on that table?

Regards!
Post #1425283
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:22 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 8:04 AM
From the plan, it can be seen that the new index is used. It also saves an extra Sort operation on the tvp.
Post #1425301
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:23 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:33 AM
Hmm, may not be worth it, you know. There is only one column in the table. If you had more columns and if filtering was performed on the key column - yes. As you said, the data will be sorted because of the clustered index, but the sorting happens probably when the SP call is made. You may not benefit from this.
Post #1425327
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 9:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:19 PM
I recommend having a clustered PK on all TVPs. I enforce this in code reviews too. 1) it keeps data transfer to a minimum by forcing sloppy development from passing more data than necessary and 2) having a clustered index on the TVP will help the engine (although not guarantee it can) maintain a consistent data access pattern which helps reduce deadlocks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1425965
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 5:42 AM
mayur birari (2/28/2013)
From the plan, it can be seen that the new index is used. It also saves an extra Sort operation on the tvp.

HOW is the index ACTUALLY being used? Just because it may be an INDEX SEEK doesn't necessarily mean that it will be more effective. You have to look at the properties of the seek. How many times is the seek actually occuring? For example, 40,000 INDEX SEEKs behind the scenes can be quite a bit slower than a single scan at the leaf level.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1425989
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 9:53 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Jeff Moden (3/3/2013)<snip/> For example, 40,000 INDEX SEEKs behind the scenes can be quite a bit slower than a single scan at the leaf level.

Jeff, in this case, won't optimizer choose to scan rather than to seek? Will optimizer seek blindly because the index is covering? Or does it depend?
Post #1426077
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:08 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:19 PM
One other question came to mind: In what order are the uniqueidentifiers being added to the TVP as they are sent to the SQL Server? If you're using .NET then is it safe to assume the rows are in "any old order" in your DataTable or can you confirm they are sorted?

And a bit more on this:

My initial testing showed if there less than 100 records in that tvp then it actually performs worse than the older one which doesn't have any index on it. I was hoping that it would perform same if not better for smaller datasets.

The point where the performance gain the proc has with the index in place outweighs the overhead the engine imposes having to sort the rows as they are added to the Table-type sounds like it is at ~100 rows. Like I said though, the hint you give the engine by having the clustered index in place in terms of which order to process the data when it comes to joins will help you avoid deadlocks in concurrency-scenarios.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1426082
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 12:30 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:18 AM
Arjun Sivadasan (3/3/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/3/2013)<snip/> For example, 40,000 INDEX SEEKs behind the scenes can be quite a bit slower than a single scan at the leaf level.

Jeff, in this case, won't optimizer choose to scan rather than to seek? Will optimizer seek blindly because the index is covering? Or does it depend?

It'll depend. The execution plan will compile according to assumptions based on statistics. If they're wrong... well, bad things happen.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1426098
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 2:12 AM

SSC-Addicted

Thanks Craig, such has been my experience as well.
Post #1426131
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse