Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Stored Procedures and SQL Injection Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:28 AM
And this one:

Post Attachments 
untitled.png (148 views, 376.16 KB)
Post #1421362
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:30 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:24 PM
Thanks Brian. This article is extremely informative. I hate permissions in SQL but your approach is spot on for making it understandable.
Post #1421676
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:31 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:37 AM
Using stored procedures is a requirement for PCI compliance. It is one of the requirements that slows down or stops all manner of nasties (well delineated in earlier posts). If your web site accepts credit cards, this is one of the many requirements.
Post #1421756
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:48 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
Dave Vroman (2/19/2013)
Using stored procedures is a requirement for PCI compliance. It is one of the requirements that slows down or stops all manner of nasties (well delineated in earlier posts). If your web site accepts credit cards, this is one of the many requirements.

I recently went through the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard V2.0 documents in detail and never saw anything that stated that you are required to use stored procedures.

Can you point to a specific PCI standards document that states this requirement?

Post #1421766
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:58 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:37 AM
It totally depends on the level of PCI compliance. I don't remember where it was and I am no longer at that company. It was not specifically spelled out in the compliance papers, but it was required by the company that was testing for compliance.
Post #1421773
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:26 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:10 AM
Sounds like an auditing firm making a determination not specified in the standard because they think it best. If it isn't in the actual standard how can the justify failing you if you aren't using stored procedures?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1421804
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:47 PM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:34 PM
Remember that auditing firms make an attestation as to whether you're in compliance. That attestation is basically a statement of confidence. So, yes, it's entirely possible one firm would require something when another wouldn't if the requirement is not explicitly spelled out in the standard. For instance, way back in the day, this is how one firm we did business with got a SAS70 attestation even though they didn't patch their Windows servers. I wish I was kidding. Our auditors, on the other hand, required a detailed patch management plan along with verification that the controls were being met before they signed off each time for our SAS70 attestation. Why the difference? SAS70 was very vague and didn't have anything specific with regards to those sorts of controls.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #1421836
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:35 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
Dave Vroman (2/19/2013)
It totally depends on the level of PCI compliance. I don't remember where it was and I am no longer at that company. It was not specifically spelled out in the compliance papers, but it was required by the company that was testing for compliance.

Sounds like the auditor was just making stuff up.

Not that I think using stored procedures is a bad thing, but this sort of thing is why I have very little respect for firms that do PCI, SAS70, SOX, etc. audits.

My experience is that they zoom in on petty items while they ignore or don't even understand serious problems.

Post #1421923
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:54 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:02 PM
Have a good read of https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1422821
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12