Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Impressive Accomplishments Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
You can't reallistically farm out long-term IT technical support to outside contractors without it costing a bunch of money the government claims it doesn't have nowadays. IT support is 24X7x365 on most of our systems and most of them are in-house.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1421221
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 7:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:50 PM
TravisDBA (2/18/2013)
You can't reallistically farm out long-term IT technical support to outside contractors without it costing a bunch of money the government claims it doesn't have nowadays. IT support is 24X7x365 on most of our systems and most of them are in-house.

Agreed (and I work freelance). Ideally with careful permanent candidate selection and judicial use of temporary expertise one can improve the in-house skills whilst also maintaining a flexibly sized workforce at a sensible cost level.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1421227
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 7:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:13 AM
TravisDBA (2/18/2013)

I agree that's it's not cost effective to farm out operational support and database administration, although there are companies that provide services like 24x7 monitoring and support. However, I thinking more along the lines of software development, website / SharePoint portal design, database design, etc.
Post #1421231
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 8:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Gary Varga (2/18/2013)
TravisDBA (2/18/2013)

Agreed (and I work freelance). Ideally with careful permanent candidate selection and judicial use of temporary expertise one can improve the in-house skills whilst also maintaining a flexibly sized workforce at a sensible cost level.

Agree Gary, with a very high emphasis on "careful permanent candidate selection". Also, a thorough reference check also helps weed out fraudlent advertisers as well, but its no guarantee a "poser' is not going to get through the gauntlet. Particularly, if management is more concentrated on personality instead. The technical people have been over-ridden many times from management before with comments like "Yes, I know he doesn't have the technical skills to do the job, but I like him". Turns out he was related to him. This stuff can and does happen, even today.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1421243
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:01 AM
Been out a few days so I am late to the party here. The resume tome is the calling card plus. It is in deed a marketing tool as it should be your ticket to and interview. It has to be accurate, not deceptive, as complete as is appropriate, and pertinent to the hiring authority. Just taking your last resume from three years back and sprucing it up a little does not do justice to the prospective employer or your career.

If a job opportunity is worth sending in a resume because it is interesting, then you should send in an updated resume with information that sells you and your skills to the readers such that they will want to know more about what you have to offer, and you will get an interview.

As far as books go, if you have written a book, good!. If you have written a good book even better! But if you write a great resume that trumps a book.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1421744
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:19 AM

Ten Centuries

I have read so many articles in the past on writing a great resume and not one of them, and I do mean not one of them, mentions anything about TELLING THE TRUTH! It's almost as if they encourage lieing on your resume.

Post #1422667
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 1:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

TravisDBA (2/21/2013)
I have read so many articles in the past on writing a great resume and not one of them, and I do mean not one of them, mentions anything about TELLING THE TRUTH! It's almost as if they encourage lieing on your resume.

I agree, however, the better articles only suggest highlighting the most relevant achievements and focussing on strengths etc. Surely some of the responsibility is on the author's own integrity. After all suggesting that someone focusses on the positives and leaves out the less positives (or some negatives) is not necessarily encouraging deception at all. An example is that if you were a junior member of a team and were allowed to silently attend in system architecture meetings saying that you were involved in the process is not untrue but saying you architected the system (even in part) is.

Gaz

Post #1422913
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 9:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Gary Varga (2/22/2013)
Surely some of the responsibility is on the author's own integrity. After all suggesting that someone focusses on the positives and leaves out the less positives (or some negatives) is not necessarily encouraging deception at all..

Gary, in many cases that's called "bragging", and the problem with that is most people don't know where to draw the line on doing it in a resume, which ends up crossing the line over into deception (lieing). Leaving that reponsibility totally in the hands of the author without doing extensive background and reference checking to back it up is like leaving bank security in the hands of a bank robber, and then just taking his/her word for it that its good to go.

Post #1423139
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 3:45 PM

SSCertifiable

TravisDBA (2/22/2013)
Gary Varga (2/22/2013)
Surely some of the responsibility is on the author's own integrity. After all suggesting that someone focusses on the positives and leaves out the less positives (or some negatives) is not necessarily encouraging deception at all..

Gary, in many cases that's called "bragging", and the problem with that is most people don't know where to draw the line on doing it in a resume, which ends up crossing the line over into deception (lieing). Leaving that reponsibility totally in the hands of the author without doing extensive background and reference checking to back it up is like leaving bank security in the hands of a bank robber, and then just taking his/her word for it that its good to go.

I am certainly not relieving the hirers from their duty just saying that any articles giving inappropriate advice regarding writing resumes / CVs does not excuse the authors in any way whatsoever.

As for the "bragging", just because someone is bragging doesn't mean it is wrong. If you can deliver then brag away. Otherwise it is lying. And wrong.

Gaz

Post #1423284
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse