Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Is it possible to make an SQLCLR data type 'comparable'? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:44 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:14 AM
I have a C# project to implement a complex number type and wanted to execute
SELECT DISTINCT c1 FROM complex

This gives the error:
Msg 421, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The ComplexNumber data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT because it is not comparable.

I then implemented the IComparable interface for the C# struct, but this made no difference.

Is there a way to make a CLR implemented data type recognized as 'comparable' to SQL?

I've already found that there doesn't seem to be a way to overload operators in SQL so I have to do
declare @c ComplexNumber
declare @d ComplexNumber

set @c = '1+0i'
set @d = @c

select @c.Plus(@d).ToString()
// Result is 2+0i

So I won't be surprised if the answer is a flat "No".

I also found that
SELECT c1 FROM complex GROUP BY c1

gives
Msg 249, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
The type "ComplexNumber" is not comparable. It cannot be used in the GROUP BY clause.

As expected! :)

So, as an alternative, is there some way to do the equivalent of 'SELECT DISTINCT' or 'SELECT ... GROUP BY' in a set based way when using CLR defined types?

By the way, I'm actually using SQLserver 2012 (not 2005) but decided this was the most appropriate forum.

Derek
Post #1419790
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:02 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:14 AM
It seems the solution is to make sure the type is binary comparable and to set IsByteOrdered = true in the arguments to the Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlUserDefinedType attribute.

Of course, the problem then is to ensure that the binary format is correctly ordered!

Derek
Post #1420264
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:57 AM
Derek Dongray (2/14/2013)
Of course, the problem then is to ensure that the binary format is correctly ordered!

Need any assistance on this piece or have you found what you needed?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1421637
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 1:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:47 PM
Sorry for mining, but i run into the same problem. My udt must have own serialization and i don't how to implement (if it is possible) my own procedure for byte ordering. Thanks for help in advance.
Post #1478723
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse