Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Restore space needed WAY more than bak file size Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:19 AM
I have a 14GB uncompressed .bak file that I'm trying to restore to a new 20GB (20,000MB) database that I just created . When I run the restore it fails with the following error:

There is insufficient free space on disk volume 'F:\' to create the database. The database requires 236339200000 additional free bytes, while only 198730047488 bytes are available.

Unless my math is off, 14GB is less than ~220-230GB. (The stated available bytes left on the disk is correct though). Anybody know what could be causing this? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Daterbase, taterbase, gatorbase."
Post #1418556
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:43 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:50 PM
My understanding is that even uncompressed backups do not backup "Free space". so where ever this bak came from... check the actual mdf/ndf file sizes. the space used data space can be 14GB and still have 250GB of "free space" that will be restored on .. .well restore.

Please someone correct me if this statement is wrong.

Post #1418558
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:46 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic777462-169-1.aspx

This is a previous link that has this exact same issue.

Post #1418562
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 10:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:19 AM
Thanks Bill. That's exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for the repost.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Daterbase, taterbase, gatorbase."
Post #1418564
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 11:01 AM

SSChasing Mays

No worries. They can get lost in time. Glad to help ^.^

Post #1418572
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 3:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
As a sidebar, I'm thinking there's something seriously wrong with the database. You're talking about a very small database using almost a quarter of a Terabyte! When you finally get this bugger loaded, look at the recovery model. I'd bet credits to Navy beans that it's in the FULL or Bulk Logged recovery model and that no one has taken a transactional log backup for MONTHS.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1418665
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:15 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:48 AM
Jeff Moden (2/11/2013)
As a sidebar, I'm thinking there's something seriously wrong with the database. You're talking about a very small database using almost a quarter of a Terabyte! When you finally get this bugger loaded, look at the recovery model. I'd bet credits to Navy beans that it's in the FULL or Bulk Logged recovery model and that no one has taken a transactional log backup for MONTHS.

I had a similar problem recently - the culprit was an autogrow setting that been set to 1,000... percent.
Post #1418890
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse