Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

FTP Sites? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:08 AM
Howdy folks,

I'm trying to setup a demonstration of how to download from FTP sites using T-SQL. The problem is, I don't know of any FTP sites that the general public has free access to. Do any of you know of such a site? Preferably, it would be a US site that's likely to be around for a good long time, probably some government site.

I could spend the time on Google looking for such a thing but I thought I ask you good folks first. Thank you for your help.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1418199
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 1:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:42 AM
I dont know of any off the top of my head, but I do have a private FTP server on a dyndns lookup to my ISP in the UK if thats any use, wont take me a minute to make an account and set it up so you have access to a folder.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1418255
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 2:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:41 AM
How about the National Climate Data Center:

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/gsod
Post #1418268
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

HowardW (2/11/2013)

By Jove! That might be just what the doctor ordered! The files are zipped using Gun-Zip, the directory structure is consistant and well laid out, and the file names have a definite structure (even if I do't yet know what the layout of that structure means). The site is free and looks like it will be available for at least the next couple of years so I can write some code and forget about having to do updates. This looks perfect. Thanks Howard!

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1418346
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

anthony.green (2/11/2013)
I dont know of any off the top of my head, but I do have a private FTP server on a dyndns lookup to my ISP in the UK if thats any use, wont take me a minute to make an account and set it up so you have access to a folder.

That's VERY kind of you to offer, Anthony. I need this data to be around and stable for years, though (it's actually going to be in an article here on SSC). I also don't know how many hits this will take especially on the first day and it has to persist even if, God forbid, something were to happen to one or both of us. I also don't want it to be a burden on any private individual because it does have to persist for years.

I VERY much appreciate your find offer to help on this. There should be more people in the world like you.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1418351
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Jeff Moden (2/11/2013)
HowardW (2/11/2013)

By Jove! That might be just what the doctor ordered! The files are zipped using Gun-Zip, the directory structure is consistant and well laid out, and the file names have a definite structure (even if I do't yet know what the layout of that structure means). The site is free and looks like it will be available for at least the next couple of years so I can write some code and forget about having to do updates.

Thanks a million, Howard! This looks absolutely perfect.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1418354
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:47 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:42 AM
Jeff Moden (2/11/2013)
anthony.green (2/11/2013)

That VERY kind of you to offer, Anthony. I need this data to be around and stable for years, though (it's actually going to be in an article here on SSC). I also don't know how many hits this will take especially on the first day and it has to persist even if, God forbid, something were to happen to one or both of us. I also don't want it to be a burden on any private individual because it does have to persist for years.

I VERY much appreciate your find offer to help on this. There should be more people in the world like you.

Not a problem, not got round to editing the post after Howard's, his is a much better solution.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1418356
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:52 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:41 AM
Jeff Moden (2/11/2013)
HowardW (2/11/2013)

By Jove! That might be just what the doctor ordered! The files are zipped using Gun-Zip, the directory structure is consistent and well laid out, and the file names have a definite structure (even if I do't yet know what the layout of that structure means). The site is free and looks like it will be available for at least the next couple of years so I can write some code and forget about having to do updates. This looks perfect. Thanks Howard!

No problem.
Post #1418360
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:55 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:47 AM
Hi,
Try these links ,
Hope they will help you to put/ get the files to/from FTP Sites

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/pop-rivett-and-the-ftp-directory/
http://www.virtualobjectives.com.au/sqlserver/ftp_scripts.htm
http://haacked.com/archive/2006/04/21/sqlstoredproceduretoftpfilesfromsqlserver.aspx
http://beyondrelational.com/justlearned/posts/608/upload-all-files-from-source-folder-via-ftp-in-sql-server.aspx

Thanks
Post #1418363
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 2:52 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks for the links, Narayana, but I already know how to do the things you have in the articles you provided links to, What I was looking for were sites that had publically available FTP sites that I could reliably do demos with.

Good links to have though. Thanks again.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1418642
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse