Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234

Updating Views Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:55 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:50 PM
I've had to correct views I've inherited that used select * and returned many unneeded columns. A quick and dirty way to correct them is to right click a view, select Open, select the 'show sql pane' button in the toolbar, and add to the displayed query WHERE 1=0 (or something of the like). I click the exclamation point and the resulting sql query string now explicitly shows all columns. You can now copy this and alter your view in a normal ssms window. It is a time saver when the view returns tens of columns.
Post #1417378
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 3:46 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:57 AM
Nince question,Thank you Steve.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
Post #1418290
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 7:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:44 PM
Nice question.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1418401
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:38 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:04 PM
Really good one! Didn't know about the SP but got it right through exclusion- of course, the only really correct answer wasn't offered.
(drop this badly designed view and fire any dev that complains about his app crashing as a result)
Post #1424057
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234

Permissions Expand / Collapse