Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Best all-round monitoring tool for Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:15 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:31 AM
Grant Fritchey (2/6/2013)
I won't say bad things about the competition, but be sure you do a VERY thorough evaluation of the Quest/Dell offerings. Just saying.

Noted, thanks :)

-------------------------------
Oh no!
Post #1416531
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:23 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:20 AM
I have used Idera Diagnostic Manager for a log time now. I really like their dashboard where you have a one shot view of all the metrics that you would want to identify any performance issues.
I also use there alert system to get alerts on my email. You can tweak there already made templates for most of the monitoring metrics of a server : like cpu usage, job failed, deadlocks, disk io, disk space, page fragmentation,locks and blocks and lots more. Even reconfigure your own threshold for those metrics [Normal,Informational,Warning,Critical] according to your own preferences.. You even have a choice to create your own metrics.
This alert has greatly relived me from worrying about the server state and not having to babysit the server all the time.

I have not used REDGATE tools , but really want to try it. So I cannot compare between these tools as i have not tested all. I'm just writing here some of the features that may be useful and exactly what you are looking for.

Overall, Idera DM is a tools where Identifying performance related issues is very easy and quick. Further Diagnose and troubleshooting may take some more effort. Dm won't do everything for you.
Post #1418121
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 12:06 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:44 AM
I have been using Confio Ignite for about a year and half and it is wonderful. I tested many and this was the easiest to setup with virtually no overhead on the servers that I was monitoring. I did not have to install anything on my production servers. You can easily drill down into issues, right to the query causing the problems and see if it is a new problem or something that has been building over time. Tuning advice and the actual execution plan are just a click away. Trending analysis can go back a year depending on how you set it up. Alerts can be created to notify you of issues right away. It is just a great tool that becomes your best friend.
Post #1418593
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 12:12 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 9:34 AM
+1 for Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager. I use it and have tried Red Gate's tool as well but preferred Idera because it had a nicer "look and feel"...decent built in reporting tools as well. Both do pretty much the same thing...I believe it's personal preference...

Post #1418595
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:06 AM
I've also been evaluating monitoring software. Spotlight has changed to an instance pricing model, which could get pretty expensive pretty fast. We were quoted about $1,500 per instance. There's also no easy way to switch from one instance to another. We were thinking of using a floating license to install as needed. It would be a PITA to do so.

I still like their tools, but they make it more difficult now.
Post #1536043
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:50 AM
andre.quitta (1/29/2014)
I've also been evaluating monitoring software. Spotlight has changed to an instance pricing model, which could get pretty expensive pretty fast. We were quoted about $1,500 per instance. There's also no easy way to switch from one instance to another. We were thinking of using a floating license to install as needed. It would be a PITA to do so.

I still like their tools, but they make it more difficult now.

Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager uses instance pricing, but you can switch from monitoring one server to monitoring a different server fairly quickly, without having to have a new license. If you have 10 licenses, you can monitor 10 different servers at any one time, and can switch to monitoring a different server without buying a new license.

You should be aware that Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager requires a SQL Server to store the data it gathers.

Post #1536105
Posted Friday, January 31, 2014 2:19 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:30 PM
We use Confio Ignite and Dell SQL Spotlight Enterprise. I like Ignite's breakdown of the SQL analysis, Spotlight for overall monitoring and alerting.
Post #1536976
Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 2:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
I have used ignite and good for performance perspective i.e. long running queries.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #1537224
Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 10:53 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:07 PM
We use SQL Sentry and are very satisfied with it. We were going through the same exercise of trying to find one and this came recommended by a speaker at a local PASS meeting.

It runs as executables and doesn't require a web server for reporting, which is a huge plus for me It also doesn't try to hide itself and can definitely handle lots of servers.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1537421
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:48 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:03 PM
Michael Valentine Jones,

Does SQL Diagnostic Manager allow you to continue browsing data collected from a server you no longer monitor?

Does anyone know if other DB monitoring products that allow this?
Post #1540519
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse