Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Is Big Data good for Data Professionals? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:12 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:10 PM
I think the diversity of opinions on this thread show that "Big Data" is just another magic marketing word that means whatever you want:
"Buy our server to support Big Data"
"Buy our professional services to implement Big Data"
"Buy our DBMS to support Big Data"
"Buy our software to manage, analyze, etc. Big Data"

Or at a lower level:
We have "Big Data" = We have "Big D***s"

Post #1404908
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:36 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 8:58 AM
I remember when I first got into IT some 15 years ago. I was working for a grocery chain, and a big industry topic was about customer loyalty cards. The challenge was since everyone was now collecting all this shopping data on customers, who could analyze and make use of the data the fastest. So "big data" certainly is not a new concept.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Post #1404919
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:55 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:39 AM
"What data professionals have been trying to do for years." is exactly where the problem lies (imho). Way too masny IT departments trying to drive the ship instead of the busniess leaders.

IT and technology is ALWAYS an enabler, we need to understand the levers of the business and proide the correctly implemented and right-sized solutions. Technology for Technologies sake is neraly always a disaster.

Business needs to understand what it needs and how it will be used before it is pushed into the ecosystem
Post #1404929
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:59 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Ignore..... see next
Post #1404930
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:01 PM
Valued Member

I think the diversity of opinions on this thread show that "Big Data" is just another magic marketing word that means whatever you want:
"Buy our server to support Big Data"
"Buy our professional services to implement Big Data"
"Buy our DBMS to support Big Data"
"Buy our software to manage, analyze, etc. Big Data"

Or at a lower level:

BINGO

There have always been and always be large information stores. Increased technology simply allows some of that data to be used in faster more pratical ways.

If a new term helps to create dialog in the C-Suite as to what the REAL needs for data are and what practical and competative purpose they serve then fine, but otherwise it once again marketing driving technology needs.
Post #1404931
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:20 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
Here is a question for everyone. Is big data simply large amounts of data or is it large amounts of intelligent data? By intelligent data, I mean data that is strategic and actually helps a company make better decisions. Usually this would be data sets that not only contain transactions but also contain elements about the people involved in the transactions. Like buying customer information or gathering census data and mapping it to a set of transactions to see what their customer or potential customer base really looks like. That way they can try to look for common elements and then do target marketing to them differently, advertise more efficiently, build strategic partnerships with other companies to generate more revenue, etc..

Or is it simply that you have a really large data set? Like having 5 TB worth of call segments that don't really tell you anything special other than who called where and when?

I tend to think of big data as the former so that it really isn't about size as much as it is about "big picture" data. Granted, you could have a fairly small data set of intelligent data but it seems that the data collection processes of websites and companies is what started this whole big data conversation in the first place. And that data collection was mostly in order to gain as much information about users/consumers as possible in order to generate more revenue.

That's just my view.
Post #1404941
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:48 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
Michael Valentine Jones (1/9/2013)

Or at a lower level:

I'm not sure that "lower level description" was really necessary to get your point across here.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1404996
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:09 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:02 PM
Donald Burr (1/9/2013)

If a new term helps to create dialog in the C-Suite as to what the REAL needs for data are and what practical and competative purpose they serve then fine, but otherwise it once again marketing driving technology needs.

I would argue it's up to technology pros to help facilitate this dialog and warn people about unnecessary spending.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1405003
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:11 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:02 PM
KWymore (1/9/2013)
Here is a question for everyone. Is big data simply large amounts of data or is it large amounts of intelligent data?

I tend to think of big data as the former so that it really isn't about size as much as it is about "big picture" data. Granted, you could have a fairly small data set of intelligent data but it seems that the data collection processes of websites and companies is what started this whole big data conversation in the first place. And that data collection was mostly in order to gain as much information about users/consumers as possible in order to generate more revenue.

That's just my view.

I think it's the former, just lots of data. Is it intelligent? Sometimes we don't know, perhaps lots of times. I think it's the analysis and work that needs to be done on data sets to try and understand if there is information in there, or is it just a data point.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1405004
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:19 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
Donald Burr (1/9/2013)
"What data professionals have been trying to do for years." is exactly where the problem lies (imho). Way too many IT departments trying to drive the ship instead of the business leaders.

IT and technology is ALWAYS an enabler, we need to understand the levers of the business and provide the correctly implemented and right-sized solutions. Technology for Technologies sake is neraly always a disaster.

Business needs to understand what it needs and how it will be used before it is pushed into the ecosystem

Donald - Complete agreement! However, we have to be at the shoulder of the driver to tell them if what they are looking into doing is technically possible and financially within grasp of the company. But they drive, as they listen.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1405009
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse