Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Solve Problems Using Recursive CTE Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:34 PM
[quote]mickyT (12/5/2012)
So comparing the islands and recursive queries returning similar rows

;WITH cte AS (
SELECT name,
DATEADD(mm, - ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY name, saledate), saledate) dategroup,
saledate
FROM #sales
WHERE quantity > 2 and saledate >= '2012-01-01'
)
SELECT name, max(saledate), COUNT(*)
FROM cte
GROUP BY name, dategroup
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1
ORDER BY name, dategroup

;with m2_cte_f (name,saledate,quantity,ind) as (
select s.*, 0 as ind
from #sales s
where s.saledate='2012-01-01'
union all
select s.*, case when s.quantity > 2 and sc.quantity > 2 then 1 else 0 end as ind
from #sales s
inner join m2_cte_f sc
on (s.saledate = dateadd(month,1,sc.saledate) and s.name=sc.name)
where sc.ind = 0
)
select * from m2_cte_f where ind=1

I get the following IO stats (timing not worth mentioning 1ms each) for the small test set
(3 row(s) affected)
Table '#sales____00000000009F'. Scan count 1, logical reads 1, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

(3 row(s) affected)
Table 'Worktable'. Scan count 2, logical reads 91, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.
Table '#sales____00000000009F'. Scan count 2, logical reads 14, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Upping the stakes a tiny bit by putting a moderate amount of data (3000 odd rows) into the table
INSERT INTO #sales (name, saledate)
SELECT *
FROM
(SELECT * FROM (VALUES('A'),('B'),('C'),('D'),('E'),('F'),('G'),('H'),('I'),('J'),('K'),('L'),('M'),('N'),('O'),('P'),('Q'),('R'),('S'),('T')) as sales(name)) names,
(SELECT TOP 156 dateadd(mm, N, '1999-12-01') saledate FROM Tally) as months

UPDATE #sales
SET quantity = RAND(Checksum(Newid())) * 5

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX SALES_IDX1 ON #sales (saledate, name)

Thanks for all updates on this topic.
I have one question for this test.
It seems the test data starts at 1999-12-01, but queries use '2012-01-01' to start. I am not sure what the end date is.
I was wondering if it makes any difference after we make some change on start date in these 2 queries, so that start date = the earlies test date, then sorting may go through all period for query 1. Of course, recursion will have more joins for query 2.
Post #1393632
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:35 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:55 PM
bj_shenglong
I have one question for this test.
It seems the test data starts at 1999-12-01, but queries use '2012-01-01' to start. I am not sure what the end date is.
I was wondering if it makes any difference after we make some change on start date in these 2 queries, so that start date = the earlies test date, then sorting may go through all period for query 1. Of course, recursion will have more joins for query 2.

I put the date into the query to make the Island query similar to the last query you posted. That query will only report the first consecutive month for each name, however the Island query will report all consecutive months in the period for a name. For example

A 2000-01-01 2
A 2000-02-01 3
A 2000-03-01 4 <-- Returned by Recursive
A 2000-04-01 3 <-- Returned By Island

A 2000-05-01 1
A 2000-06-01 2
A 2000-07-01 1
A 2000-08-01 3
A 2000-09-01 3
A 2000-10-01 3
A 2000-11-01 4 <-- Returned By Island

A 2000-12-01 2

What I found interesting was even though I was only adding data prior to those dates the recursive query kept getting more expensive.

Post #1393675
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:34 PM

I put the date into the query to make the Island query similar to the last query you posted. That query will only report the first consecutive month for each name, however the Island query will report all consecutive months in the period for a name. For example

That is what I said in previous post. This perticular task is to find when someone are qualified at his first time. So, recursion will search at beginning and stop searching after reaching the goal.
Post #1393700
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:04 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:06 AM
bj_shenglong (12/6/2012)

That is what I said in previous post. This perticular task is to find when someone are qualified at his first time. So, recursion will search at beginning and stop searching after reaching the goal.

I've haven't looked at the queries in any great detail but I'm thinking that add TOP 1 would easily solve such a problem.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1393720
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse