Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Interview Questions Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:07 PM
I know , it's kind of DBA questions and they are excepting the Developer to answer it and I am a Newbie to SQL server ,and never faced such situations in realtime enviornment.
Post #1394125
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 9:38 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
komal145 (12/7/2012)
I know , it's kind of DBA questions and they are excepting the Developer to answer it and I am a Newbie to SQL server ,and never faced such situations in realtime enviornment.

Did you tell them that you're new to SQL and are a developer? Or does your CV claim experience that you don't have?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1394138
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 9:59 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:50 PM
Sorry to be blunt but if you're asked these question in a job interview and you cannot address them (after some followup questions because some of them are vague), than this is probably not the job for you.

As pointed out above, some of the questions are about broad topics that are not best addressed in a forum reply. If you are interested in learning these topics, you can look through the Articles section of this site, where some of these topics are described in great detail.

Post #1394150
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 5:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:58 AM
komal145 (12/7/2012)

It depends. These types of questions can mean different things based on the postion beig offered. I assumed they were meant for a DBA position. For a T-SQL Developer position, the answers may change a bit but the questions are still quite valid.

I'm with Gail, though. Did you explain that you were "new" to SQL Server before the interview? And what was the position actually for? Developer or DBA?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1394290
Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:46 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
If they are looking for a junior developer you *may* be ok, but I am hard pressed to believe you are ready to become a DBA which is one the most highly trusted positions in an organization. I agree with Jeff, take time to get the knowledge and experience then you can be ready.

CEWII
Post #1394358
Posted Monday, December 10, 2012 5:03 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:31 PM
komal145 (12/7/2012)

Yes these are real life scenarios that a DBA faces and the questions asked to you sound more like a discussion rather than questions.

They were probably trying to figure out what all you can think in a specific scenario. No answer is totally correct or totally wrong but they usually see how you think and whether you jump on conclusions straightaway.

If you are interested in an admin position and were not happy with the outcome of the interview, don't feel bad. Learn some SQL first. Be in position to understand simple procedures, functions etc. Read a lot to learn about scenarios. Then side by side, learn about admin stuff like taking backups, keeping log files intact on DEV server. This will make you ready for a junior DBA position. Discuss with the DBA about the things that you learn recently.

When you slowly are in touch with some DBAs, you might well be inducted into their groups to recieve some alerts. Try to find common patterns, send your understandings to the DBA.

At some point of time in your career, someone will definitely pick your enthusiasm and that will be your first breakthrough.

Don't give up and the best thing is to read and collect a lot of information.

All the best!

Chandan
Post #1394553
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse