Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

New DBA job, done some digging on Database and have some concerns! Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
Awesome responses guys thank you so much, this site rocks :)
I've been flat out doing queries and other schema changes and haven't had a chance to run dbcc checkdb yet Will try later in week for sure and keep you posted.

Many thanks

B
Post #1387086
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:50 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:32 AM
Hi

Before any fixes that you think are "essential", make sure your manager agrees the priorities, in particular new work vs schema fixes, backups, reindexing or DBCCs etc

Only do essential fixes initially - if the system has been working for a few years then it can probably work for a few more weeks (even without PKs)!
If you make changes, and something breaks, then some users might think you don't know what you are doing. You also might get blamed for (schema) problems that come to light subsequently.

Before you get into making schema and other changes (but I see that you have already started), make sure you have a way of tracking the changes, eg use some sort of schema source control system.

Hope that helps
Steve
Post #1387333
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:07 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:27 AM
stephen.sarre (11/21/2012)
Hi

Before any fixes that you think are "essential", make sure your manager agrees the priorities, in particular new work vs schema fixes, backups, reindexing or DBCCs etc

Only do essential fixes initially - if the system has been working for a few years then it can probably work for a few more weeks (even without PKs)!
If you make changes, and something breaks, then some users might think you don't know what you are doing. You also might get blamed for (schema) problems that come to light subsequently.

Before you get into making schema and other changes (but I see that you have already started), make sure you have a way of tracking the changes, eg use some sort of schema source control system.

Hope that helps
Steve

I strongly agree with what Steve wrote above. If you operate alone and without a net, you will die when you fall because you will fall even if you're a great DBA that never makes mistrakes.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1387414
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:19 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:35 AM
Hi Bugg,
Lot's of great advice from the peeps that know on here. I'd just reinforce the importance of getting a disaster recovery plan in place and making sure all databases and log files are being backed up successfully and in the manner/mode you require for the organizations needs. It's a definite skin saver
Good luck,
Dave.

Dave Morris

"Measure twice, saw once"
Post #1387886
Posted Friday, November 23, 2012 4:16 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:53 AM
And if anyone questions why you are being pedantic about backups / corrupt databases etc - get them to read this - you might want to have a look as well.
This story changed the view of a couple of people I work with.

-------------------------------
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Smart way to ask a question

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Post #1388112
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse