Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Performance issue using UDF in bulk load jobs (SSIS) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:04 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 2, 2013 7:46 AM
Hi All,

We have bulk load jobs configured using SSIS packages. All the load jobs were working perfectly fine until 2 days back. Suddenly, our load jobs are taking way longer than the normal time. The issue is identified to be the use of UDF as shown below,

Note: These jobs were working fine since 3 years without any issues. We load around 16 GB of data each day.

No changes to the server and\or SQL Server itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mohsin

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[convertdate_null] (@input varchar(50))

RETURNS VARCHAR(12)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @output DATETIME;

SELECT @output = CASE WHEN (ISDATE ( ( CASE WHEN Left(replace(ltrim(rtrim(@input)),'+',''), 1) = 1

THEN '20'

ELSE '19'

END + Right(ltrim(rtrim(@input)), 6))

) = 1)

THEN CONVERT(VARCHAR(12),CONVERT (DATETIME, CASE WHEN Left(replace(ltrim(rtrim(@input)),'+',''), 1) = 1

THEN '20'

ELSE '19'

END + Right(ltrim(rtrim(@input)), 6) ) )

ELSE

null

END

RETURN @output

END
Post #1383455
Posted Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Mohammed Mohsin-392707 (11/11/2012)
Hi All,

We have bulk load jobs configured using SSIS packages. All the load jobs were working perfectly fine until 2 days back. Suddenly, our load jobs are taking way longer than the normal time. The issue is identified to be the use of UDF as shown below,

Note: These jobs were working fine since 3 years without any issues. We load around 16 GB of data each day.

No changes to the server and\or SQL Server itself.

The function is a scalar UDF which is a performance problem in and of itself. That, notwithstanding, things don't just suddenly start running slower unless something actually did change. Perhaps the target table of your load finally reached a tipping point where the existing statistics are no longer valid causing a change for the worse in the execution plan. Perhaps the server is using more memory for other things than it used to.

I recommend that you first rework the scalar UDF and the code or process that uses it to be an Inline Table Valued function that returns a scalar value. That will take care of some of the performance problem. Once that is done, I'd re-evaluate any slownness that remains.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1383456
Posted Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:12 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:45 PM
How is the UDF used? In a join or where clause predicate? Select list?
Post #1383480
Posted Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:36 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

In a select list.

Thanks,
-Mohsin
Post #1383499
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 12:19 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:06 AM
Since SQL Server is generally quite poor a string manipulation, the obvious thing to do would be to move this logic into the layer that is most approriate ie the SSIS task.

Will be a relatively trivial thing to do.

Clear Sky SQL
My Blog
Kent user group
Post #1383514
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 12:49 AM
SSC Rookie

I am using this SQL within the data flow task of SSIS package. I am doing simple select from a stage table and inserting into the base table. Wherever date coumns are there in stage, I am using UDF to validate and return.

Any quick things I can take a look? Changing any thing related to UDF is a huge task as it has been used in more than 500 locations.

Thanks,
-Mohsin
Post #1383527
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Mohammed Mohsin-392707 (11/12/2012)
I am using this SQL within the data flow task of SSIS package. I am doing simple select from a stage table and inserting into the base table. Wherever date coumns are there in stage, I am using UDF to validate and return.

Any quick things I can take a look? Changing any thing related to UDF is a huge task as it has been used in more than 500 locations.

Thanks,
-Mohsin

Then create a new iTVF UDF just for this task to start with. The current UDF is a scalar UDF and will always be a performance problem.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1383732
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 2:29 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:45 PM
I agree with Jeff. Or for that matter since this is just in the select list, that scalar function can be turned into a case statement very easily.

Post #1383881
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse