Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

DBA Support Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:29 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:49 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBA Support

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1377387
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 1:00 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:16 AM
All the sql server databases - I'd be all day counting them - I haven't even managed to count servers yet! But I have to say a huge thank you to Ola Hallengren for his work that saves my sanity.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Backup+%2f+Restore/62380/
Post #1377416
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 4:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 3:07 AM
We are three DBAs managing more than 3000 SQL Server databases. Using more than 100TB of storage. Databases range from a few MB til 7-8 TB databases.
Our environment uses SQL Server 2005/2008/2008R2 and a few 2012s.
We have automated the environment to a very high degree, using SQL Server/SQL Agent and PowerShell. Including automatic discovery, backup, maintenance, reporting, as well as some migration, recovery, and capacity management functionality.

-
Jakob
Post #1377468
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 5:30 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:05 AM
We have (or will have soon) 3 production servers and 1 dev server, with approximately 150 databases across them all. I am the de facto DBA, although we do not have that actual position/title at present (my official title is Applications Programmer Analyst).

I have been, over the past several months, working on automating as much as possible, due to the simple fact that administering databases and servers is not my primary job. Backups, index maintenance, integrity checking, monitoring... I have been working to implement as much automation as possible. The hardest part is not knowing what I don't know; I know there are things that I should be looking at, but I have not had much time to dive into those areas, and the time usually comes when an issue appears (funny how priorities can change rather quickly in emergencies...). If it weren't for the level of automation, I know from experience that there are things that just wouldn't be done.
Post #1377510
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 5:47 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:57 AM
Let's see what my new DBA repository tells me:

18 SQL Server instances.
492 Databases.
6TB of data

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1377520
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 7:21 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:08 PM
I manage a paltry two databases at my workplace, one in SQL Server, one in Microsoft Access. Not exactly a huge burden of work there, with only about 3GB of data, but I'm definitely doing everything I can with these databases (and a spare test one for experiments) to learn all I can about working with SQL Server. Learned the importance of doing backups of everything to multiple places and restoring them daily, indexing, optimization, and so forth. I'd actually like to move to an environment that has a bit more to manage... Sometimes there's just very little to do here, since the business needs don't escalate very often. That just leaves more time for learning and testing, though

----------------------------------
My journal of things I'm learning about SQL
Post #1377571
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 7:42 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:08 AM
I just recently got the job that I currently have, I'm a few weeks into it. We have one production database server and one development server, and currently working on a stage database server. We have about 20 databases that range in size from 30 gb to very small database all running on SQL 2008 R2. I really love the DBA job, it's very cool to work with data and help the users to pull that information into readable format. I'm very impressed on what some of you guys are currently supporting. I like to read a lot about managing DB, scripts and all this cool stuff to keep up to date and defintely to work on automating as many tasks as possible.
Post #1377581
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 7:52 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:08 PM
1 production SQL Server instance; 4 production databases.

1 test SQL Server instance and the same 4 test databases.

I'm an accidental DBA; the only DBA we have here.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1377594
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 8:15 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:13 AM
This is a nice question, but skating a bit close to the confidentiality line for me I'm afraid. A bit of basic research with Google will uncover which company I work for.

I'm going to settle for, 'lots'.

---

Note to developers:
CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!

Want to get the best help? Click here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ (Jeff Moden)
My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.
Post #1377612
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 8:48 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:23 AM
As an accidental DBA we're at 113 instances on 3 Production 2008R2 systems and hundreds of databases but fortunately I was smart and automated EVERYTHING when I took this job. Plus it helps that our developers wrote a lot of stored procedures into our databases so all we have to do is schedule a task and call them. Without automation for maintenance (we use LiteSpeed with Spotlight for monitoring because we can also manage the OS at the same time as SQL) I would lose my mind. This does not include test environments and other smaller database products like Progress OpenEdge.
Post #1377645
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse