Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Unprofessional Employers Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Unprofessional Employers

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1374652
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 1:31 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
CFO "what happens if we pay for training and they leave"?
CTO "what happens if we don't pay and they stay"?

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1374664
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 5:36 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Today @ 7:17 AM
I think Mark Rendle is basically right and Uncle Bob did take things a bit far:

"In fact, you go out of your way to make it hard for them to learn, by believing in 100% “utilisation” which actually forces people to work 9 hours a day so they can minutely account for the 8 you pay them for, and means they’re utterly banjaxed by the time they get home and can barely shift themselves off the sofa."

I get home (around a 25 mile round trip, cycled) bathe the kids or other activity, cook some supper - after that I've really got nothing left in the tank after a day of work. I can read up a little bit but actual development of code - forget it. It's a little crappy to leave all 'improvement' to young guys without families (which is how it ends up) as they are not necessarily the ones with the best approach.

Fortunatley my employer gives us conference and training time. It's not a lot but we're getting there, it's taken a lot of effort but I now have a very worthwhile Pluralsight subscription I can dip into between projects. I often rediscover my love of the job this way.
Post #1374752
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 5:46 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:38 AM
"Now if I could just find the time to take advantage of it ...."

Amen. Especially when you care about work/life balance and its effects on your health.
Post #1374763
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 6:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:20 AM
I've been fortunate that my employers have all offered some educational benefits. While they wouldn't pay for certifications (even if directly related to the position) they would offer tuition reimbursment, or paid time to go to a free conference. Having just switched to a new company, I am eager to take advantage of the tuition benefit to finish my Master's.
Post #1374772
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 7:58 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, April 04, 2014 6:01 PM
Unfortunately in 20+ working on IT, I never have had an employer who cares about to invest in training me. And I say unfortunately not for me, but for the employers, because I'm self taught and I always try to be up to date on my own, and when I feel that I'll not longer progress on one place, then I change of job. That is when my ex-employer realizes how valuable I was for the company, and more than one have wanted me back, but I've learned, and in the hard way, that second parts aren't good.
Post #1374836
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 8:33 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 7:15 AM
I've had both types of employers, and I have to say the turnover in the places that didn't train or even actively discouraged it was much higher. I was at one place for four months and saw 3 people come and go. My current employer encourages us all to stay up todate and the turnover is zero(I've been here for almost 5 years now, my longest stay ever at one place). I agree with Steve, even though my employer will pay for training and certs, I still feel the only person that should be in control of my career is me.
Post #1374856
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 8:43 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:16 AM
We're encouraged and supported to take relevant training generally a course per year or more if needed and usually get any books we request - an Itzik Ben Gan one landed on my desk this very morning.
But this is civil service and everything HR has to be done by the book so I don't expect any less.
Post #1374863
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 8:51 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:23 AM
Most difficult when you work for a company that offers tuition reimbursement, and even has their own learning portal, but refuses to offer any time off for education regardless if the skill is directly related to your job. My employer has specifically stated that education has to be completed on your own time and not company time - and they will not allow attendance to any industry conference regardless if it's free or not unless you take vacation time to attend and pay for all expense out of pocket (so you're basically going on your own). Management tries to say they will pay for things if there is a "business justification" but in practice it never, and will never, happen. Just one of the reasons I'm looking elsewhere.
Post #1374866
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012 8:55 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 8:27 AM
My employer hasn't wanted to invest any money in training for anyone, especially IT and developers, for several years now. This has been due to the recession and falling budgets, so I've been told. I do know our budget has gone down each year since the recession started, resulting in layoffs, reductions in benefits, etc.

Rod
Post #1374868
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse