Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

How do you admin your databases? Expand / Collapse
Can you connect your desktop SSMS to all your production, test, and dev servers?
Poll ResultsVotes
Yes

55.56%
Yes, but with extra authentication

20.37%
No - you mad? That's crazy. RDP all the way.

18.52%
No - other connection

5.56%
Member Votes: 51, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:24 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:01 AM
So

I would like to try and find out - ideally for those working for a single employer - not consulting multiplexers working from home (but yes, them too!) how you actually do your job?

Some people have untrusted domains, locked off by firewalls and just an rdp connection. Others can connect straight from their desktops.

Where do you fit in, what is 'normal'

Cheers all

Rich

Post #1373721
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:11 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:03 AM
The only problem with RDP is that if you have 3rd party tools to help you with your work, and you have individualized settings on those tools, RDP sessions require extra licensing and possibly extra set up. That's why I like two different security paths better.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1373814
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:28 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

I'm asking because of the situation I find myself in, locked away behind firewalls, very little access.

Multiple domains that can't see each other, tools that can't connect up... etc. Just wondering if I'm alone, or if that is reasonably normal.

The response so far seems mixed... but does suggest I am not alone! Perhaps we should start a support group :)

Post #1373836
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:12 AM
Hey Rich, I used to RDP to database on cloud servers. beyond that test/dev servers were kept local so I would only RDP to them when I needed to move files but for SQL queries i'd run through SSMS.

I've also connected to the cloud databases using SSMS however after upgrading to SQL 2008 R2 I found it was really slow to connect locally. My shortcut was amended to connect automatically without me passing credentials, SEE below link if its of any help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4212912/url-to-make-ssms-start-and-connect-to-a-db

Post #1373847
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:13 AM
Ten Centuries

Aye, ta. Also worth knowing about the runas /netonly command, which will allow you to use your local ssms to connect and windows authenticate to servers on a different domain. But only of couse, if you have a port open to it...

Mind you, has anyone tried setting up an endpoint on the rdp ports?

Post #1373885
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:15 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:55 AM
Almost exclusively RDP, since I have to perform other tasks on the servers as well. I'm the only developer / DBA / operator in the entire shop. The machine is only visible inside the company's network, so it's relatively safe from attack, and RDP is just easiest.
Post #1373888
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:24 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:12 AM
I was trying to remember what else I did. Yes my rdp shortcut also used the /netonly command.

Do you know why a local SSMS is so slow when connecting to SQL 2008 servers. Mind you it was in my last company so I couldnt replicate now.
Post #1373892
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:46 AM
Ten Centuries

Could be the autocomplete stuff? Find that dbname.. becomes quite painful if you have a few 1000 objects.

Post #1373912
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 AM
This whole thing also depends on how segregated the workplace is. If you work in an environment where production DBAs are different from Dev DBAs are different from BI DBAs, then of course you're not going to be able to touch everything you might think you need.

And then if you work in a place where server administration is a different team than the DBAs, that's a whole nother set of perms you lose. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1373978
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:38 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:25 PM
On our end I use SSMS directly from my system to reach all of our systems, and on the few off-site systems I can VPN into those and still use SSMS. Red Gate SQL Prompt has spoiled me, and given I have it locally it's nice to have regardless of which server I'm connected to.

As for authentication, my domain account is not a sysadmin on all of our servers, specially on vendor maintained servers, so on some i have to log in but most I can just use trusted authentication.

I honestly don't care to use SQL over RDP mainly because it's slow and we don't have SQL Prompt installed on any of the servers. Yeah I can get by without it, did for MANY years, but it's still nice to have :)
Post #1374028
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse