Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

The Importance of Validating Backups Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:16 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:09 PM
You must be corrupting a page that is not allocated - you need to figure out which page you're corrupting and then check it's allocation status using DBCC PAGE.

For the backup, if you corrupt the backup header then restore verifyonly will catch that, with or without checksum.

Paul Randal
CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Post #1366197
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 06, 2013 7:23 AM
Newbee ;
Paul this is a very good article but one common trend here is educating the masses that require these backups .
Would it be possible to providfe me with names of vitualisation tools which will aid in validating backs as well as restores.
Post #1382716
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:37 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:42 PM
Nice article.
Post #1400071
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:24 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:27 PM
I've developed a stored procedure to automate the generation of restore scripts. http://paul.dynalias.com/SQL/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/
The procedure is actually a single SQL query, you can specify a STOPAT point and it works out the FULL, DIFF, LOG files needed and generates the necessary script. It includes a CHECKDB at the end, ignores WITH COPY_ONLY , allows overrides to restore file locations using WITH MOVE and so on. It's better than anything else available free I can find.
Post #1400103
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:31 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:27 PM
This is a link to a T-SQL and a PowerShell script that can be used to automate SQL Restores.

Post #1400105
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 7:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:25 PM
Hi Paul,

Great article! I immediately checked my backups and realized that I was already doing this because WITH CHECKSUM is the default for compressed backups (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865.aspx). I just wanted to point that out as many people create their backups using the maintenance plans depending on the environment.

-Derek Stanley
Post #1526129
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:55 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:35 AM
Thanks for posting this Paul. It has motivated me to revise my backup/restore plans. I now restore the production backup to my test DB immediately after backup, and use CHECKSUM as well.

I'm not a reluctant DBA. But, as I wear many hats, I don't get to focus as much time on administration as I wish to. Articles like this keep me pointed in the right direction.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1526180
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 12:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:53 AM
One of the best way to validate backups - restore them onto the servers your developers are using as often as makes sense in your environment, preferably daily.
Post #1526238
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 2:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:09 AM
Thanks Sir, saving us from data loss, which is life for us, and who ever depend on us. such an article, I always admires... happy holidays.
Post #1526428
Posted Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:44 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the article,
Just one question,
How can I open the database in a backup without having to restore it?

Shahin
Post #1528426
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse