Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

GO Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:06 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 10:44 AM
Sorry the explanation is wrong. Then the question is not properly framed. Questions should be aimed at eliciting understanding....

Even if go is not a standard tsql, then by default i will not add it cos this will depend on my environment.....It does not add to knowledge...no use asking trick questions....

Post #1361514
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:20 PM
lanre_makinde (9/19/2012)
Sorry the explanation is wrong. Then the question is not properly framed. Questions should be aimed at eliciting understanding....

Even if go is not a standard tsql, then by default i will not add it cos this will depend on my environment.....It does not add to knowledge...no use asking trick questions....

Maybe you can explain why you think the explanation is wrong? I am very pleased with the explanation - it not only tells you why the correct answer is correct, it also gives you some backgrounds, and a warning. I think it's very well done, so I am looking forward to an explanation of why you feel so different about it.
Also, can you explain why the question is, in your opinion, not properly framed? Is that refering to the yes/no vs true/false debate, or is there something else that should have been different?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1361523
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:51 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 8:27 AM
lanre_makinde (9/19/2012)

It appears to me to be right, to be properly framed (at least for fluent English speakers - for others the distinction between yes/no and true/false may be important), and to be very clearly aimed at eliciting understanding.
Can you explain why you reach the opposite conculsion on each of these three points?

Tom
Post #1361691
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:18 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:00 PM
joe.wolfe (9/13/2012)
The given answer to this question is "true", but I am not sure this is correct. The "NotGo" throws an error "Incorrect syntax near 'NotGo'" and the variable @Test cannot be declared twice the same procedure or batch...What am I missing?

I felt the same way about this question. But knowing that you can configure things as suggested is a great thing to know about and avoid. Worth learning and even missing the answer to know.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1361694
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:22 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:13 PM
Miles Neale (9/19/2012)
joe.wolfe (9/13/2012)
The given answer to this question is "true", but I am not sure this is correct. The "NotGo" throws an error "Incorrect syntax near 'NotGo'" and the variable @Test cannot be declared twice the same procedure or batch...What am I missing?

I felt the same way about this question. But knowing that you can configure things as suggested is a great thing to know about and avoid. Worth learning and even missing the answer to know.

It may be worth mentioning (and honestly I'm not sure I haven't already as long as this discussion as gotten) that the first time I encountered this was when I received a script from a vendor using a non standard batch separator. I had to struggle to figure out what was wrong. My original purpose for this question was to help show others what can be done. Not so that they can use it, since honestly I don't think they should, but so if someone else makes use of this functionality they can easily work around it.

And lets be honest, I find it a rather interesting piece of SQL trivia.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1361710
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:18 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, January 3, 2014 5:10 AM
What a Nonsense this question is?
Post #1361751
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:12 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:19 AM
Anurag-428305 (9/20/2012)
What a Nonsense this question is?

I'm not sure why they made "GO" a configurable batch separator. I'm sure they had a reason that is beyond me but the question is not nonsense in the fact it was something I never knew and even thought about but am aware of now due to this question.
Post #1361837
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:41 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:50 AM
Was it mentioned how one would change the separator?

Jamie
Post #1366213
Posted Monday, October 8, 2012 1:45 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:40 PM
The question was not clear at all...at a surface while using 'notgo', the entire script should prone to a failure..

Thanks.
Post #1369650
Posted Monday, October 8, 2012 8:54 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:13 PM
SQL-DBA-01 (10/8/2012)
The question was not clear at all...at a surface while using 'notgo', the entire script should prone to a failure..

Please read the explanation and the previous 79 posts. That should explain it quite thoroughly. If not please post again and I'll try to explain it in a different way.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1369869
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse