Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Fun with Outer Joins Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:09 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:09 PM
Luis Cazares (9/10/2012)
CELKO (9/9/2012)
The correct terms are "preserved table " and "unpreserved table" ...

Can you explain us these terms? I can't find any reference on the web.

While I'm sure Joe has a deeper, ANSI definition for these terms, I believe their simplest usage is as a reference point. In a LEFT join the LEFT table is the preserved table and the RIGHT is unpreserved. The reverse would be true in a RIGHT join. So in discussion it doesn't matter if we're talking about LEFT or RIGHT joins, we'll know which table is which using these two terms. Like in a car, we don't reference left and right sides because that's relevant to whether or not I'm looking at it from the back or from the front. Of course, referencing driver-side and passenger-side is different based on the country you live in. Now that I think about it, like boats, I'm all for using port and starboard for cars.
Post #1357445
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:25 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 11:01 AM
thisisfutile (9/11/2012)
Luis Cazares (9/10/2012)
CELKO (9/9/2012)

While I'm sure Joe has a deeper, ANSI definition for these terms, I believe their simplest usage is as a reference point. In a LEFT join the LEFT table is the preserved table and the RIGHT is unpreserved. The reverse would be true in a RIGHT join. So in discussion it doesn't matter if we're talking about LEFT or RIGHT joins, we'll know which table is which using these two terms. Like in a car, we don't reference left and right sides because that's relevant to whether or not I'm looking at it from the back or from the front. Of course, referencing driver-side and passenger-side is different based on the country you live in. Now that I think about it, like boats, I'm all for using port and starboard for cars.

There you go. In a LEFT OUTER JOIN from now on we will call the left table the "driver's side" or "port" table and the right one the "passenger side" or "starboard" table. Reverse of course for a RIGHT join.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1357461
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:30 AM
You have a couple of misspelled words there Mr. celko. This did not hinder my understanding of the point you were making. Nor did Kenneth’s use of words and schema hinder my understanding of his.
Post #1357620
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:58 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 3:44 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the lesson.

A question:

Regarding "assembly language bits", we have a case where we need to track historic medical data for patients (problems), and track if it's resolved or not. We may not have a date (it could have been 20 years ago, and the patient does not remember). I am guessing that you are promoting a look-up table, with two values (Resolved, Unresolved).

Also, "Your life will be easier if you learn to use row constructors: " - I guess it depends on the version of the DBMS the author is using. Some people are still on SQL Server 2005.

David

CELKO (9/9/2012)
The correct terms are "preserved table " and "unpreserved table" and your design is wrong. You have no keys, we do not use BIT flags in SQL, you believe in a magical "id" that changes from table to table, becoming a professor, a squid, a class, an automobile, etc. That is Kabahlah magice and nto RDBMS.

You had only one professor, no key, a name that violates USPS standards and an assembly language bit flag. IDENTITY properties? And no DRI because of the bad non-schema. Yes, without keys and DRI, this is not RDBMS. You also do not understand temporal data.

CREATE TABLE Professors
(emp_id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
professor_name VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,
tenure_date DATE);

Your life will be easier if you learn to use row constructors:

INSET INTO Professors
VALUES (1, 'Dr Coke', '2011-01-01'),
(2, 'Dr Sprite', '2011-01-01'),
(3, 'Dr 7-up', '2011-01-01'),
(4, 'Mr Pepper', NULL),
(5, 'Mr Fanta', NULL);

Notice the use of a NULL for non-tenured professors. This still stinks and we ought to have a status and date range. But let's skip that design flaw for now.

CREATE TABLE Classes
(course_nbr INTEGER NOT NULL
REFERENCES Catalog,
semester_name CHAR(7) NOT NULL
REFERENCES Semesters,
PRIMARY KEY (course_nbr, semester_name)
emp_id INTEGER
REFERENCES Professors);

The common temporal idiom in SQL is a look up table for reporting periods. I prefer a name that can be sorted with ISO-8601 data:

CREATE TABLE Semesters
(semester_name CHAR(7) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
CHECK (semester_name LIKEB '[12][0-9][0-9][0-9]-S[1-3]'),
semester_start_date DATE NOT NULL,
semester_end_date DATE NOT NULL,
CHECK(semester_start_date < semester_end_date);

You can get the class name from the catalog and not waste space and time on it. What you had was not normalized. Courses have numbers; look at a college catalog. The NULL is my favorite instructor “TBD” (I do adjunct teaching and that means work).

INSERT INTO Class_Schedule (class_nbr, semester_name, emp_id)
VALUES (101 '2010-S1', 4),
(101, '2010-S2', 4),
(101, '2011-S1', 4),
(101, '2012-S1', NULL),
(101, '2012-S2', NULL),
Etc.

Now try your queries with a proper schema.
Post #1357638
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:46 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 4:33 AM
Kenneth
Just to pick up on this point you made:
"We" do use BITs quite often. They are a nice small data type where I can fit 8 of them into a byte. Unless you have a good reason not to use them that I've never heard of I think I'll continue to not waste disk space

My understanding is that this is the behaviour of the Bit field type anyway - is there a reason why you would do your own packing into a Tinyint?
Post #1358282
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:56 AM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 11:01 AM
pg53 (9/12/2012)
Kenneth
Just to pick up on this point you made:
"We" do use BITs quite often. They are a nice small data type where I can fit 8 of them into a byte. Unless you have a good reason not to use them that I've never heard of I think I'll continue to not waste disk space

My understanding is that this is the behaviour of the Bit field type anyway - is there a reason why you would do your own packing into a Tinyint?

Fair point. In this particular case I only ever put 1s and 2s in my classsemester column (fall/spring) so I could easily have put this into a Bit field. And to be honest since I only had 1 bit field in the Professor table I didn't save anything over a char(1). However I still feel that the appropriate data type for a flag (only ever going to be 2 options) is a bit. In the case of ClassSemester I could have included more semesters in the future (say summer) and was leaving room for it.

All that being said my big complaint with what Joe had to say is that I used a very simple format. The minimum required to get my point across. While there were some minor points that could be argued (Id vs ProfessorId etc) they don't distract from the point of the article. Mr Celko's structure on the other hand was overly complex for what was needed. This is however just my opinion, and as my family knows my opinions should always be taken with a grain (tablespoon full) of salt.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1358576
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:09 AM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 5:50 AM
thisisfutile (9/11/2012)
Luis Cazares (9/10/2012)
CELKO (9/9/2012)

That's a reasonable explanation, but there's no such thing as preserved or unpreserved table. As a matter of fact, it doesn't need to be a table to be in the statement, it could be a view, a TVF, a subquery, a CTE, etc. It could all be treater as a data set.

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1358589
Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 3:46 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:13 AM
Very good article. I did get confused trying to follow through the FULL JOIN result set as it seemed to be missing 5 rows for the Selzer class. I eventually ran the code and confirmed that it IS missing 5 rows and the point of the ON clause was finally able to sink in.
Post #1359702
Posted Monday, September 17, 2012 6:08 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:21 AM
CELKO (9/9/2012)
...we do not use BIT flags in SQL...

You, sir, couldn't be more wrong. That is all.
Post #1360507
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:06 AM
When executing the query with adding the FULL JOIN with where clause like below -

SELECT Professor.Id AS [Professor.Id], Professor.ProfessorName,
CASE Professor.HasTenure WHEN 1 THEN 'True' WHEN 0 THEN 'False' ELSE NULL END AS [Has Tenure],
Class.ProfessorId AS [Class.ProfessorId], Class.ClassName,
Class.ClassYear, Class.ClassSemester
FROM Professor
FULL JOIN Class
ON Professor.Id = Class.ProfessorId AND Class.ClassYear >= 2011
WHERE Professor.HasTenure = 'True'

Then it is giving same results as adding LEFT OUTER JOIN.
Post #1360627
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse