Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

A Cloudy Future Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 7:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:00 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/10/2012)
Jeff Moden (9/10/2012)
All this talk about being multi-talented on a large number of platforms is interesting because it's actually contrary to what my personal experience has been. It wasn't until after I decided to concentrate almost exclusively on the world of databases and T-SQL in particular more than ten years ago that it became easier to find a job.

Being a generalist in many areas doesn't preclude you being an expert in one, like T-SQL.

Agreed. And there are many good folks on this fine forum that have become experts in more than one area. I've found that that's the exception rather than the rule, though.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1357084
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 8:29 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 10:52 AM
Being a generalist in many areas doesn't preclude you being an expert in one, like T-SQL.

I advertise myself as a production DBA. I can sit around and write T-SQL SP's day in and out that work. I don't enjoy it. I can look at a SQL Server, figure out what the internal bottlenecks are. I can also figure out where the network routing issues are or build a server from bare metal.

I can also do it with Oracle, but that is a few years old.

When you say SQL to me, I ask questions of what chunks you need help with. I don't commit on you need a prod DBA but want a developer.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1357100
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:57 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Steve,

I definitely agree on the point of working smarter, not harder. I see way too much of the other way around nowadays. Don't try to reinvent the wheel just to say one could. It generally impresses no one anyway, and it usually wastes a lot of time. Use the huge toolbox that is already at everyone's disposal, Google it first. I would also add to not let employers "pigeonhole" your career into what they need. I tell employers straight out when interviewing, "I am a production DBA, not a reports developer." Once you start taking on this role, you tend to inherit it quickly (largely because no one else wants it) and you then find yourself at your new position doing little else. The big problem with developing reports, is you are never done with them. Remember, it is your career, don't let other people dictate where it goes, and if that means leaving or not taking the job in the first place, then so be it. Your career is kind of like sitting on top of a stagecoach with someone else. You can let someone else determine the path, or you can grab a hold of the reins and determine that yourself. The key, is don't spend years making that decision.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1358129
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:06 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:20 PM
I have held four different full-time jobs over the last 8 years. Each job required a different skill set. The result is the precisely this sort of "undesirable" skill set: jack of all trades, master of none.

Even before I read this, I have wondered how much talent is going unused because it doesn't fit into the boxes of prospective employers. Apparently I'm not the only one who has this problem. And the march of technology only is making it worse. You can't get experience with a tool until you need it to accomplish your current tasks, and then years later you find that so many people won't hire you because you never got experience with the tool.

Shamefully, with all of the wonderful technology we have now, the process of matching those who have talent/skills with those who need the talent/skills is largely stuck in the 20th century.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv
Post #1358638
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse