Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

A Cloudy Future Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:21 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Cloudy Future

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1356460
Posted Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:55 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
I have found that once you get to a certain level, and you don't limit yourself to be strictly the DBA world, the unemployment worries drop off significantly.

I have a three year old resume online and still get calls from recruiters.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1356565
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 12:55 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:49 AM
Jim P. (9/9/2012)
I have found that once you get to a certain level, and you don't limit yourself to be strictly the DBA world, the unemployment worries drop off significantly.

I have a three year old resume online and still get calls from recruiters. :cool

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

so may we are approaching towards a bloatware recipe , by hiring "Master of None"
Post #1356574
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 7:35 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:11 AM
"the person that has a variety of skills in multiple areas with a history of solving problems is desirable"

You would think so. Until they think you are a jack of all trades and a master of none for whatever reason. Then wait until one (or more) of the people from "the team" gets to interview you and finds out that you can do their job as well as the one you are applying for. You may as well just get up and walk away.

Cheers
Post #1356728
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 9:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:15 AM
The one who learns rises. The one who stagnates dies. Your choice!

Have a good one!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1356848
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 11:19 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:08 AM
jfogel (9/10/2012)
"the person that has a variety of skills in multiple areas with a history of solving problems is desirable"

You would think so. Until they think you are a jack of all trades and a master of none for whatever reason. Then wait until one (or more) of the people from "the team" gets to interview you and finds out that you can do their job as well as the one you are applying for. You may as well just get up and walk away.

I've been told that I wasn't going to be considered for a position because I seem to be "more of a generalist" than a Database Developer. Sucks for me that I can do more than one thing well.

-- Stephen Cook
Post #1356908
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 11:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:29 AM
All this talk about being multi-talented on a large number of platforms is interesting because it's actually contrary to what my personal experiennce has been. It wasn't until after I decided to concentrate almost exclusively on the world of databases and T-SQL in particular more than ten years ago that it became easier to find a job.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1356934
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 12:51 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:11 AM
My point is that one would think that as an applicant that the prospective employer would look favorable on those with a large skill set and those able to go above and beyond the job description. That is pure crap and your approach is spot on. Be the expert applying for the specific position and mention nothing else. If one were a doctor would you mention that you know how to clean a toilet during an interview? Do you want to be a doctor and a janitor? If a potential employer actually does make a big deal out of an applicant being able to do all sorts of things then I say run away. That should tell you something.

Cheers
Post #1356961
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 1:27 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
It depends; smaller shops often need more generalists. Larger shops often only want a triangular pegs for triangular holes.

There's also a large amount of personal preference involved; some people feel better having multi-skilled employees thinking that they can solve integration problems and/or handle a wide range of business needs more quickly (etc), some people feel better having a single-skilled employee thinking that they can solve deep problems and/or handle a smaller range of business needs more quickly (etc).

I prefer someone with one to a few "deep" skills and a wide range of other skills. Others differ; I've seen good and bad from people who fall into both camps.
Post #1356982
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 2:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:21 PM
Jeff Moden (9/10/2012)
All this talk about being multi-talented on a large number of platforms is interesting because it's actually contrary to what my personal experience has been. It wasn't until after I decided to concentrate almost exclusively on the world of databases and T-SQL in particular more than ten years ago that it became easier to find a job.

Being a generalist in many areas doesn't preclude you being an expert in one, like T-SQL.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1356999
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse