Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

The Dream Machine Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:10 PM
Todd.Everett (9/7/2012)
Now suddenly we have two key uses for our laptops - social media and cloud storage - that we can't live without. Many employers block both.
I now use producteev for task management, evernote for note taking, dropbox for cloud storage, and AWS to play with cloud instances of SQL Server and Oracle. My employer blocks every one of these as well as my facebook page, my twitter feed, and so on. ...

Thanks Steve for the very timely editorial (I continue to be amazed at how you find something interesting and timely to write each day in SQL Server Central.com) and the space for us in the community to write back!

Does your employer block those for some security issue or just they think it improves productivity?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1355955
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:11 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:17 AM
oddly enough working for a very large company I have no complaints....so I guess my ideal machine to add to the office would be...one of these...

SQL Tips and Scripts
SQLWorks Blog
Post #1355956
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:22 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:10 PM
anthony.dean (9/7/2012)
oddly enough working for a very large company I have no complaints....so I guess my ideal machine to add to the office would be...one of these...

LOL, but from personal experience, lots of cleaning needed for these things to keep working over time.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #1355963
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:52 AM
I've built some PCs and bought about the same. Laptops have finally caught up to providing the power and with a few adapters the abiltiy to attach other HDDs when trying to remove viruses from other PCs. The 4 montiors would be great at work if my desk was big enough. Currently I use an old PC (E-Mail, research, notes...) and a laptop (for the real work). I'll be getting to pick a new one next year and will get to pick one within reason on the price and it will be a laptop instead of a PC. I mainly work on application development and some support of databases.

Needs:
17" display minimum
i7 processor (I compromised processing speed last time and won't do it again).
8GB RAM (but if I can get more I will)
At least 1 external monitor port
At least 1 USB 3.0 port
E-Sata
sd card slots
As big of a battery as I can get
Backlit keyboad (letters don't wear off).
DVD burner
Ideally I would get 2 HDDs, but I doubt that would be in the budget

HP has one that I recommended for my nephew going off to college for $800 with all of the above. I need to stick with Dell for work though so the price will be higher. It's amazing how much you can get for under $1000 compared to only a couple of years ago.
Post #1355968
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, November 1, 2013 1:47 PM
with all the possible choices, and p-o-s apple kids toys are mentioned more than anything else
Post #1355973
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:40 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:56 PM
I have no special preference when it comes to the hardware sitting on my desk; in my department we have a scores of database servers provisioned for Development and QA, a few of which where I'm a sysadmin. As far as a "dream" setup, it would be Windows 7 64-bit, Virtual PC, a MSDN Premium edition license, Safari Books Online subscription, and an allowance for time spent on certification training and side projects.
Post #1355979
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 7:52 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:59 AM
I agree-my Saeco Vienna Deluxe helps me start my morning and without that, I am not ready for my desktop (Dell Optiplex) or my laptop (Thinkpad R52). My trusty laptop needs an upgrade, but I am not sure if Lenovo is where I will go next. All I know is I need to trackpoint along with the touchpad. I am not of this new "swipe everything with my finger" generation! It also needs lots of memory and lots of storage, but I haven't requested one yet because my old Thinkpad is setup exactly the way I want it! I must be getting old.......
Post #1355985
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 8:17 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:49 PM
steve.neumann (9/7/2012)
"I see now shortage".. do you ever proofread?

Do you ever post anything but complaints about spelling and grammar?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Search1-0-2.aspx?SessionID=gbtacbbixlcxtw55lhxxqs45&SortBy=2&SortOrder=1

Greg
Post #1356002
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 8:17 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
My dream machine needs a balance between portability and horsepower.
With portability comes a long lasting battery. I've had some Dell laptops (Inspiron) with a battery that won't even last 2hours of normal work, that's not great.
The ability to use two monitors is important, I'm not sure if I can handle more or I would just get crazy.
Processor, RAM and HDD will vary with time, but more is better
One thing that I'm not sure about is if I should buy a laptop in the US, because I'm really used to mexican keyboards and the use of "ñ". I can configure the keyboard settings, but with an american keyboard, I'm missing one key. So if I have "ñ", I won't have"<>", that's annoying.

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Post #1356003
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 8:33 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:15 AM
I would have two dream machines, one for work use, and one for personal use...

My work box would just be a desktop, support 2+ monitors, LOTS of RAM and a Xeon CPU so I could load Server2012 w/Hyper-V for throwing together VMs to test various things (and one Win7 Pro VM for "normal" work) and the company to pay for a Technet subscription for me.
Considering my current box at work (which so far allows me to do my work) is an older Dell Vostro with a Core2 Quad CPU, 8GB of RAM, and dual monitors, I can't complain too much.

As for a personal "dream machine," something similar to the above, but in a laptop...
Post #1356011
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse