Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Combining AlwaysOn Groups With Failover Cluster Instances Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:33 AM
Perry,

Your article suggested you could make the single Listener HA, Could you explain how this is achieved please ?

Post #1490360
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 5:16 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:06 AM
Thanks fro this article, but you don't actually say HOW to do this...I want to setup an AO group for an existing failover cluster and it isn't clear which wizard or settings to use (do I specify the nodes or VIP or something else when setting up the cluster and replicas?) Documentation on this is very sparse.
Post #1535262
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 7:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:55 AM
Hikmer (1/27/2014)
Thanks fro this article, but you don't actually say HOW to do this...I want to setup an AO group for an existing failover cluster and it isn't clear which wizard or settings to use (do I specify the nodes or VIP or something else when setting up the cluster and replicas?) Documentation on this is very sparse.

Thats because this is not a deployment guide! Thats a whole separate article. Deploying an AO group is no different when using an FCI replica you just need to be aware of the increased complexity. This guide shows the typical wizard options when creating the AO group.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1535275
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 8:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:06 AM
Thanks, yes I have deployed an AlwaysOn Availability group and these instruction are straight forward...what I am lacking is a guide to combine Fail-over Clustering with AlwaysOn Availability. I have two 2 node failover cluster environments (SQL 012 with shared disks, etc.) and want to create an Availability group between them for added redundancy and DR....however I cannot figure out how to do it..or even if it is possible. People alluded that is it online but I have yet to find this mystical guide. One article combines two different technologies...the other walk through leaves Failover Clustering out completely...or am I wrong?

PS You also don't mention how to create the secondary database to Join in the Always On Wizard, and while trivial to some, it was a step I had some issues as I needed to leave it in a recovering sate. Not trying to be a jerk...just struggling with this as Microsoft doesn't seem to have an good articles on this subject matter.
Post #1535281
Posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Hikmer (1/27/2014)
what I am lacking is a guide to combine Fail-over Clustering with AlwaysOn Availability.

I have a guide being published soon on SSC showing how to achieve this, starting from scratch.

Hikmer (1/27/2014)
I have two 2 node failover cluster environments (SQL 012 with shared disks, etc.) and want to create an Availability group between them for added redundancy and DR....however I cannot figure out how to do it..or even if it is possible.

All nodes that have an instance, clustered or non clustered, that is to participate in an AO group must be part of the same windows cluster. What you are attempting is possible but only for migration purposes, it is not a supported permanent solution, as objects (like the listener) cannot move between clusters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1535316
Posted Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:21 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 8:05 AM
I have a question about storage. I have a 3 node windows cluster. 2 FCIs on san storage and 1 node on a separate san. For Always On you need to have the same lettered drives correct? And you should be able to do that with a Windows Cluster? My storage guy is telling me they can't be the same drive letters if they are in the same windows cluster.
Post #1593838
Posted Friday, July 25, 2014 11:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 11:15 AM
3 node windows 2012 failover cluster
sql2012 installed on node 1 and node 2

node 1 and node 2 -> instance 1 using V: on san as clustered storage
from node 1 v: drive information (get-disk ## | select-object *)
* IsClustered : True

node 3 -> no instance yet using V: on san as standalone storage
from node 3 v: drive information (get-disk ## | select-object *)
* IsClustered : False

To set the drive letter to V: in 2012 as V: is already in the cluster we had to use "Computer Manager"

I'm thinking the SQL install is seeing the cluster V: and not the local V:

So, how to get SQL to see the local V: and *should* SQL be installed on the local V: instead of an available drive letter.

Error message when trying to install SQL on node 3 V:
The directory V:\{path} is not a valid path. Standalone SQL Server on WFC cluster cannot have the files on shared disk locations.

Post #1596332
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:38 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:24 AM
david.puckett 38841 (7/25/2014)
3 node windows 2012 failover cluster
sql2012 installed on node 1 and node 2

node 1 and node 2 -> instance 1 using V: on san as clustered storage
from node 1 v: drive information (get-disk ## | select-object *)
* IsClustered : True

node 3 -> no instance yet using V: on san as standalone storage
from node 3 v: drive information (get-disk ## | select-object *)
* IsClustered : False

To set the drive letter to V: in 2012 as V: is already in the cluster we had to use "Computer Manager"

I'm thinking the SQL install is seeing the cluster V: and not the local V:

So, how to get SQL to see the local V: and *should* SQL be installed on the local V: instead of an available drive letter.

Error message when trying to install SQL on node 3 V:
The directory V:\{path} is not a valid path. Standalone SQL Server on WFC cluster cannot have the files on shared disk locations.

You need to:

(1) Evict the standalone node from the WSFC cluster
(2) Install the sql on that node
(3) Add the node back to the cluster.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #1597228
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:17 AM

SSCertifiable

Marios Philippopoulos (7/29/2014)

You need to:

(1) Evict the standalone node from the WSFC cluster
(2) Install the sql on that node
(3) Add the node back to the cluster.

Be very careful here, when you introduce an FCI into a cluster that is to be used for AlwaysOn Availability groups a number of restrictions apply.
The cluster is checking existing groups and has found that a clustered instance of SQL Server already exists on the drive\volume V:\
What happens if at a later date an administrator comes along and runs the add node wizard on one of these cluster nodes?

Post #1597242
Posted Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:12 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:46 AM
I still need to re-read this article a few times to make sure I understand everything, but I do have one question after the first read through. When combining FCI and Availability Groups, are stand alone (non FCI) servers required? Or is that just how you designed this particular example?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1633904
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse