Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Copy results, update a few fields, reinsert Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:42 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:02 PM
Matthew Cushing (8/30/2012)
Going to give it a try now, but I'm unsure what this does:

ROW_NUMBER() OVER( ORDER BY position_id) + @new_position_id - 1

That's taking the new position_id and adding the Row Number minus 1 to avoid a gap between sets.

I'm guessing your SP GetUpLdNextInstance is doing something like this:
SELECT ISNULL( MAX( idcolumn), 0) + @Increment
FROM IDsTable
WHERE Table = @Table
AND Column = @Column

Am I correct?

Are you sure the new_position_id is getting the same value on every row? Can you check what is it trying to insert?

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1352421
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:52 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Please, review the code I sent as there are some errors I didn't see, mainly because I can't test the code. I hope you get the idea of what it's doing, so you can modify it and mantain it.
For the repeating new id, could you please post the code you used?

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Post #1352425
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:02 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, March 21, 2014 10:22 AM
Okay, I think I get it now. I moved things around so I'm using the Row_number() + @new_position_id to insert into the new_position_id field in the temp table, and it's incrementing beautifully. As an example, when I run it the first time, the new position id I'm getting is 920781 and the last one is 920813.

The problem is, if I run it a second time, the first new position_id value it comes up with is 920782. I believe that the code that generates the new id's writes the id to a table so it knows what number to start with, so in our case, it's only generating one value.

I'm wondering if it's as easy as just updating that table with the final value that I generate with your code.

So:
run stored proc to get new position id
walk through the code to increment the code
use the last position id to run an insert statement to the table we're keeping the max value in
end

Post #1352434
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:39 PM

Hall of Fame

I believe there's a problem with your insert trigger. It might be prepared for single row inserts. You might want to check it as it can be a general problem with your database.
In a company where I worked we had something like that, however is was meant for something different.
I hope that the table is not being used by several users at a time, because it will create a problem with duplicates.

Luis C.

Post #1352468
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 9:32 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I believe I got things working, but only partially. If I run it for today, it's fine. If I want to run it for a day last week or last month, it's checking the max value in the cursor, so it's not going to work.

Essentially I either have to write two stored procs or rewrite this somehow. The problem comes in when I have a weekend or a holiday. Since I'm using the max value, that part is fine, as long as I am running today. If I go back and try to run a different day, the values it grabs won't be right, since it's a max function, it'll grab todays.

I'm thinking of somehow putting in a conditional statement for the cursor select, or something along those lines. This seems like it should be so easy, but it really isn't. I'm just trying to copy two tables, give them new sequential id's, and insert the values with some updates along with them.

*had to take out the stored proc.*
Post #1363567
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:04 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Luis,

Can you remove the stored proc in your post? I just got called in because I wasn't supposed to post it.

M@
Post #1365520
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse