Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

cannot connect to named instance thru SSMS on developers desktop Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 5:18 PM
Hi Experts,

I got a scenario where one of the developer cannot connect to named instance, but able to connect to default instance thru desktop. He got RDP access to sql server and able to login into both instances but not thru SSMS on the desktop ?

Please Help

Thanks!
Post #1351321
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:02 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:36 AM
Could you explain 'cannot connect' a little more? What happens? What errors? What investigation has been done?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1351322
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
Agreed, need the error to help here. There's a few dozen things it could be.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1351323
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:14 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:36 AM
My complete guess would be that the SQL browser service isn't running or he's got a firewall blocking the higher ports.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1351325
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:15 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the error message
-----------------------------------------
Cannot connect to servername\instancename

Additional information

A netowrk-related or instance-specific error occure while establising a connection to SQL Sevrer.
The server was not found or was not accesible.verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections(provider:SQL network Interfaces,error 26-
Error Locating Server/instance Specified)(Microsoft SQL Server)
------------------------------

How to upload images into Sqlservercentral.com forums?
Post #1351326
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Verify that remote connections for the instance are set to on, and double check the listener on the server that the instance is listed. I think Gail's wild guess is accurate here, and is definately the place to start with the error you transposed.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Post #1351327
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:28 PM
SSC Veteran

checked remote connections for the instance set on. It is enabled.

Does each SQL Server listens on different port numbers?

for example: default on 1433 and named on something else ?

if we have two instances installed on a box , do we see two sql server browsers in sql server configuration manager ?
because i am seeing only one SQL Server Browser service here

Thanks all. This is the best place to learn SQL Server.
Post #1351328
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:41 PM

SSCertifiable

Sqlism (8/28/2012)
checked remote connections for the instance set on. It is enabled.

One down...

Does each SQL Server listens on different port numbers?

for example: default on 1433 and named on something else ?

Yuppers, each instance gets its own port. First is 1433 everything else is random between 1024 and 5000, depending on what's open, runs under Winsock (or at least used to). 1434 is the browser (listener). couple of others are dedicated as well, like SQL Broker.

if we have two instances installed on a box , do we see two sql server browsers in sql server configuration manager ?
because i see only one SQL Server Browser service

Yeah, you're supposed to. You should see something like this:

If you do, make sure TCP/IP is ON for the instance.

If you don't, RDP to the server and get into the services. Make sure a service called: "SQL Server Browser" is started. If it isn't, fire it up or correct whatever issues it's having.

Generally, an overview and some help using the Browser:
http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1946/overview-of-the-sql-server-browser-service/

Let us know what you find from there, if anything.

- Craig Farrell

Post Attachments 
ConfigExample.jpg (221 views, 11.62 KB)
Post #1351331
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:59 PM
SSC Veteran

I can see two instances under SQL Server Network Services in SQL Server config manager

In default instance:
Right clicked TCP/IP--> Properties---> Ip adresses .... I can see port number as 1433

In named Instance:
Right clicked TCP/IP--> Properties---> Ip adresses .... I can NOT see port number as 1433, it is just left blank

Strangely if this is the cause ?

How can i connect to this named instane from one of the production servers management studio :o
Post #1351335
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:03 PM

SSCertifiable

Sqlism (8/28/2012)

In named Instance:
Right clicked TCP/IP--> Properties---> Ip adresses .... I can NOT see port number as 1433, it is just left blank

Yeah, check the last value, it should be dynamic. It will function, just doesn't hard-port it if you don't set it that way.

How can i connect to this named instane from one of the production servers management studio :o

It does make it more difficult to directly connect to a non-dedicated port value. I'm getting a bit deep for my experience (and available research time). I'm going to call in some backup since it's not the easy fixes, it's been a while since I argued with this particular issue.

- Craig Farrell

Post #1351338
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse