Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Design pattern for Phone Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 11:23 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:37 PM
Thanks Tom and Steve (and belatedly, Bill). We are migrating to the new model, and hope that we will see the benefits and avoid any unseen pitfalls. I'll let you know how it shakes out and if we run in to anything that makes the model unfeasible.

Steve - our phones might be different, but when you are in the edit mode for a contact, click on the label for one of the phone numbers (e.g. the word "mobile"). I get a long list of options and at the bottom is "Add Custom Label" - from there I can create my own label for my contact.

For our app we are going to go with a generic "Phone 1", "Phone 2", etc. up to a "Phone 7" and store each in it's own column in the table. That way we don't have to worry about types and everyone can choose for themselves what "Phone 1" means without having to define static types. Ok, just kidding we're really not doing that, I couldn't resist.

Thanks!
Chad
Post #1362868
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 11:39 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:42 PM
Chad Crawford (9/21/2012)
For our app we are going to go with a generic "Phone 1", "Phone 2", etc. up to a "Phone 7" and store each in it's own column in the table. That way we don't have to worry about types and everyone can choose for themselves what "Phone 1" means without having to define static types. Ok, just kidding we're really not doing that, I couldn't resist.

Thanks!
Chad

Why wouldn't you normalize the table?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1362872
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 12:14 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:37 PM
Luis Cazares (9/21/2012)

Thanks!
Chad

We did. I had a twitch of humor while reading Steve's comment and tried to think of the worst design possible. I did add that we are not really doing that, sorry that it didn't carry through in the post.
Post #1362893
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 12:21 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:42 PM
Luis Cazares (9/21/2012)

Thanks!
Chad

We did. I had a twitch of humor while reading Steve's comment and tried to think of the worst design possible. I did add that we are not really doing that, sorry that it didn't carry through in the post.

That's what happens when you don't read the last sentence
I was in shock and I missed it. The worst part is that I'm sure there are tables designed like that somewhere in the world.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1362896
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse