Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 2:47 PM
Hi,

We have log shipping configured in SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2.

Log shipping copy job is failing and I'm getting the below error most of the times when I'm trying to see the view history for that job.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding

and sometimes it's showing the actual error as below:

2012-08-07 13:01:52.03 *** Error: The handle is invalid.
(mscorlib) ***

Please advise.
Post #1341547
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:31 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:58 PM
This may be the GUI tming out trying to build the job history due to too much volume, or a slow or overburdened server. Does your server generate a lot of job history? When is the last time you cleaned it out?

-- delete all job history older than a couple weeks, adjust to suit

DECLARE @dt DATETIME ;
SET @dt = DATEADD(day, -15, GETDATE())

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_purge_jobhistory
@oldest_date = @dt ;
GO

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1341596
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:34 PM
even i am facing the same problem..and the sql server machines i have are..newly created ones,how do i have any job history....?
please recommend any other solution....
thank you
P.Naveen kumar reddy
Post #1349186
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

How new? Log Shipping jobs can fill up the job history in a hurry. So can jobs with very frequent schedules, e.g. run every 15 seconds. Have you checked the job history directly via the tables in msdb? There are many reasons why the UI can timeout. Is your server extremely busy?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1349195
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

not at all busy......it's all a new configured ones....no transaction ran except a few before a full backup taken.....no work currently is being done on it.............?
Post #1349263
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:28 AM

SSCertifiable

Did you check the job tables to see what was in them? If you're running replication or log shipping or other subsystems you might be surprised at what is in there.

Like I said, if it's not job history it could be any number of other things including your install of SSMS or other client/network conditions.

Google for ssms times out job history and you may find a nice workaround or two that you like better.

Post #1349269
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:36 AM
Forum Newbie

yes i did check everything.....after all i didn't configure any.....?i have all protocols,remote admin connections,query governor cost limit enabled for sure.....
Post #1349272
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:40 AM

SSCertifiable

All I can say is look for a workaround because there is no way for us to know what is happening in your environment as there are too many variables.

If you see the results of the link I posted there is a Connect item open for this exact issue and Microsoft says performance was improved in SSMS 2012.

Post #1349274
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:05 PM
Forum Newbie

a last thing....what would be the possible error reason for a newly installed sql server machine with no job alerts n nothing in it....?if i am configuring it for the first time.............?
thank you
P.Naveen kumar reddy
Post #1349284
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:32 PM

SSCertifiable

Could be lots of things. Some are related to SQL Server, some related to your environment at large, e.g. network issues, slow server in general due to non SQL Server processes, blocking on the server due to activity in msdb although you're saying there are no scheduled jobs (which begs the question, why are you trying to view job history). The issue you're experiencing is usually related to an over-abundance of job history, however if that is not the issue then there are simply too many possibilities and without having direct access to your environment to start testing some things I cannot even venture a valid guess at what it could be...good luck.

Post #1349296
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse