Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Six Figures Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Six Figures

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1323471
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:56 PM
I don't give much credibility to anything I read on the InfoWorld site, even when they're quoting another source.

They're just cheerleaders for the latest IT fads, and shills for their advertisers.

Took me about 2 seconds on their site to find a perfect example of this:
"Your corporate data needs to be in the public cloud -- starting now"
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/your-corporate-data-needs-be-in-the-public-cloud-starting-now-196475

Post #1323501
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:39 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, November 5, 2012 4:44 PM
Locally there does seem a shortage of ETL(SSIS) programmers.
Post #1323518
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 1:18 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:14 AM
Sometimes in order to achieve the big-bucks salaries you have to make sacrifices along the way. I know a couple of people who wanted to break in to the DBA profession from their previous jobs, and took a pay cut in order to do so to gain the necessary experience. They're now building up to the level where they could take on a more independent role and become contractors if they wished, and I imagine would be very successful at that level.

I think if you're willing to put in the graft, and are prepared to make some sacrifices along the way then it will pay dividends in the end. No one should expect to receive large salaries as a matter of course. You have to work for them!
Post #1323657
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 5:58 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 7:59 AM
Good Article, I can relate to this one.
Post #1323744
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 7:15 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 11:28 AM
As a BI developers with a few years experience I can't really complain about my salary.
Usually when I take a salary survey, I end up above the average pay check for an IT professional my age and my experience.

But ssshhhht, don't tell my boss

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1323779
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 9:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
SQLPhil (7/2/2012)
Sometimes in order to achieve the big-bucks salaries you have to make sacrifices along the way. I know a couple of people who wanted to break in to the DBA profession from their previous jobs, and took a pay cut in order to do so to gain the necessary experience. They're now building up to the level where they could take on a more independent role and become contractors if they wished, and I imagine would be very successful at that level.

I think if you're willing to put in the graft, and are prepared to make some sacrifices along the way then it will pay dividends in the end. No one should expect to receive large salaries as a matter of course. You have to work for them!

Very true. A little investment over time can pay itself back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1323851
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 11:50 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:13 AM
Whenever you can take your IT skills and apply them in a more direct way to helping the business either solve it's problems or identify and capitalize on new opportunities, then you are making yourself more valuable to the business.

BI is about doing those things. So it makes sense that the BI salaries are above average.
Post #1323956
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 12:43 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 2:39 PM
Michael Valentine Jones (6/30/2012)
I don't give much credibility to anything I read on the InfoWorld site, even when they're quoting another source.

They're just cheerleaders for the latest IT fads, and shills for their advertisers.

Took me about 2 seconds on their site to find a perfect example of this:
"Your corporate data needs to be in the public cloud -- starting now"
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/your-corporate-data-needs-be-in-the-public-cloud-starting-now-196475

I'm in the same boat. I take their articles with a grain of salt or 10.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1323982
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 1:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:57 PM
HI, Koen

What kind of skills will you recommand to continue develop as BI developer?

Thanks
Post #1323999
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse