Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Never, Ever Use Clustered Indexes Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 8:10 AM
Paul Hunter (5/31/2012)
I hear the argument "we don't want to be locked in" from the app dev folks - the same ones that aren't afraid to be locked in to their programming language and/or OS. It's a "logic free" argument.

Ah, but the programming language and the OS they understand. The DB is just this black box that spits out the right answers (and at the same time is the source of their problems.)
Post #1308946
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:39 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:39 AM
Unless you are willing to dedicate the resources, performance in cross platform data applications will not be optimized. Which is fine if it's a trival app, but can become a quagmire on an a product that requires performance.
Post #1308948
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:40 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 8:10 AM
Chris.C-977504 (5/31/2012)
Now that I've read the whole article, I'm really not clear what your message is.

In fact, I’d argue that you need to design precisely for specific relational database management systems because, let’s face it, they don’t implement the fundamentals in the same way. If you mess up the fundamentals, you’ve just messed up your entire design.

The point is that you can't take a database that's designed for Oracle, change the t-sql to be Microsoft SQL (or MySQL, etc) compliant and expect it to work well. It'll function. It'll just be slow because the core engines are optimized for different DB design.
Post #1308950
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:16 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 9:47 AM
The older version of our app is one of those that supports either a Oracle or SQL Server back end. This is not the first time where I've either read or head someone say it is impossible to have any application that does this efficiently. This isn't the case here. From what I have seen it appears to come down to the development platform when it comes to our app. In the 90's our app was written in a language called CET BASIC. You may not be familiar with it but it was/is a great full featured dev platform that we carried over from THEOS OS when we went to Windows.

Performance was very good for both Oracle or a SQL server back end. Then we went to a VB based dev platform. The SQL Server back end was still very fast while the Oracle back end lagged in ways that I sometimes found unacceptable. This speed issue had nothing to do with indexes or any other tuning issue. It seemed to me it was related to the data access tools used to get the data out of Oracle. I could verify that the Oracle server was practically asleep waiting for request from the app. I'm not a VB programmer but I always kind of thought Microsoft intentionally wanted access to any DB besides SQL Server to be slower. I have no proof of that specific claim but I have results from testing.

Cheers
Post #1308969
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:31 AM
Probably being a bit ignorant here but once you're writing T-SQL you're already specializing for MS SQL Server and Sybase ASE.

So not using vendor-specific stuff (e.g. clustered indexes) after that - that has no impact on the way the application is programmed except for performance - seems ridiculous.

I mean, even the data types differ per vendor so you'll have to specialize already. Right?
Post #1308971
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:39 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 10:09 AM
Chris.C-977504 (5/31/2012)
I almost flipped the bozo bit before I got to the fourth paragraph.

Now that I've read the whole article, I'm really not clear what your message is.

FWIW,
-Chris C.

Sorry about that. I was trying to make the point that "generic" database designs aren't really possible due to the nature of the underlying infrastructure. Clearly failed.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1308989
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:56 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:38 AM
This should have been an April Fool's editorial; well with a little tweaking of content.

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
"if it works it's out-of-date"
Post #1309003
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:58 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Sorry about that. I was trying to make the point that "generic" database designs aren't really possible due to the nature of the underlying infrastructure. Clearly failed.

I'm a little confused too Grant . Who really uses "generic' database designs nowadays anyway? Particularly, when the underlying database structure is constantly changing in a fast paced environment. At least mine anyway. This seems to me like something that is already very apparent to most DBA's IMHO anyway. So, Oracle and SQL Server are fundamentally different, Uhhhhh... yes, they are....no kidding! I'm with Chris, I'm not sure what point the message was trying to convey, that we didn't already know.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1309010
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:12 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 10:09 AM
TravisDBA (5/31/2012)

I'm a little confused too Grant . Who really uses "generic' database designs nowadays anyway? Particularly, when the underlying database structure is constantly changing in a fast paced environment. At least mine anyway. This seems to me like something that is already very apparent to most DBA's IMHO anyway. So, Oracle and SQL Server are fundamentally different, Uhhhhh... yes, they are....no kidding! I'm with Chris, I'm not sure what point the message was trying to convey, that we didn't already know.

The message may have been unclear, again apologies, but you're wrong that this is common knowledge. Tons and tons of developers and plenty of DBAs still believe in not hooking yourself to a single vendor. I interviewed someone just a little over a year ago who lectured me on my technical questions because they were too "Microsoft & SQL Server specific." His argument was that only lowest common denominator SQL should be used so that it's easier to port between database systems. People really do still believe this.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1309028
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:21 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Tons and tons of developers and plenty of DBAs still believe in not hooking yourself to a single vendor. I interviewed someone just a little over a year ago who lectured me on my technical questions because they were too "Microsoft & SQL Server specific." His argument was that only lowest common denominator SQL should be used so that it's easier to port between database systems. People really do still believe this.

Agreed, people believe lots of things, but that doesn't necessarily make them relevant, or the best way to go. Like I have said to many customers in the past without reservation. "There is what you want, and then there is what you end up getting." and my boss backs me on it every time too. Our business is still thriving. As far as the interview goes, you are asking the questions not the interviewee. You can ask anything you want within reason to satisfy your need to assess his/her specific skill set..

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1309041
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse