Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSRS Chart issue..Bars dont show up but data does Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:19 PM
I have created a column chart in which the data is showing up properly on the x and y axis but, the actual bars dont show up..any idea what the cause might be?? Thanks in advance
Post #1298927
Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:46 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:28 PM
sounds flaky. clear the cache and try again. you also might try a different browser (before and after clearing the cache there). If not displaying, restart all the SQL services, and if still not showing, restart the server.

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #1299198
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
BWAAA-HAAAA!!!! If you have to restart the services and/or the server just to get the bars of a chart to show up, then there's a serious flaw in SSRS! I'd like to recommend that you try to at least find out what the problem might be before resorting to such tactics.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1299271
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:46 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:28 PM
it was my experience two weeks ago, when Report Server was only displaying down to the orange/blue line, no admin controls, no menus. Restarting the services corrected the first problem. The DB had been stepped on, and a restore was required; but, nothing below the line was visible until the services were restarted. SSRS certainly is not the best product, and it is Microsoft. Not restarting, in most circumstances, is foolish.

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #1299275
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:01 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
debrucer1 (5/13/2012)
it was my experience two weeks ago, when Report Server was only displaying down to the orange/blue line, no admin controls, no menus. Restarting the services corrected the first problem. The DB had been stepped on, and a restore was required; but, nothing below the line was visible until the services were restarted. SSRS certainly is not the best product, and it is Microsoft. Not restarting, in most circumstances, is foolish.

What do you mean by "the DB had been stepped on"? And not finding the root cause before restarting is usually more foolish especially when the goal is 24/7 on certain servers.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1299285
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 12:54 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thank you so much for the reply guys..
As many of you suggested..I restarted the services..then rebooted the computer..but still nothing worked..
I changed the values of x and y axis, but that didnt work either.
The problem is..
In this report, I have a chart and a table..Table contains the values and chart shows the graph of how the values changed over the time..so the table is showing the correct values..and chart's xa dn y axis are showing correct values..but the only problem is the bars are not appearing which is very weired..
Edit..Its a simple column chart..not a bar chart..sorry for the confusion and I am also using a line chart and facing the same problem with it as well..
I have a similar report and it is showing all the values and columns/lines correctly..
Here is a screenshot of the report in designer mode..

When I preview this report..the columns dont show up..neither the data lables
Post #1299811
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 5:17 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

OK..Problem solved..solution was converting the data to Integer :D

silly me..Thanks a lot guys :)
Post #1299951
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:39 PM
I am having the same issue, where some of the data does not render in the chart, but it is ok in a table. Can you explain a bit more about your solution? Did you change all of the series output into integer? or did you change the grouping to integer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

--// EDIT

I figured out the issue that I was having. I was overlooking a warning of aggregate function trying to sum multiple data types. I then found this article that helped me visualize the issue:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_pfe_blog/archive/2009/07/10/sum-of-a-sql-analysis-services-calculated-measure-within-a-reporting-services-report-gives-error.aspx

So, I updated my series value with =SUM(CDBL(xx.xx.value)) and all is well in the world....
Post #1357580
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:10 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I converted the data to be displayed into integer..that solved my problem
Post #1357623
Posted Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:26 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, December 5, 2014 5:13 AM
Forgive me if this is a simple problem to solve, I am having the same issue, please can you tell me how to change so the data into an integer? My chart is looking at views (so I think it is already looking at integers) but it's not working so I'm going to try changing it. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Abbie
Post #1594959
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse