Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

RegEx for DBAs Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:45 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item RegEx for DBAs

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1296195
Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 9:08 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 6:53 AM
Very nice Article.
Post #1296197
Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 9:11 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:42 PM
Although RegEx is powerful, I have tried using it once and found that coding my own CLR function to manipulate strings to what I want was 100 times faster than the RegEx function was.

If you are running the code against a small dataset this should not matter however I was running the code against millions of rows and this had a major impact on performance.
Post #1296199
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:19 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
Great and very nicely put together article, David. My hat is off to you. But what of performance? Have you done any comparisons between the Regex function and a moderately complex PatIndex?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1296241
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
david.rowland (5/7/2012)
Although RegEx is powerful, I have tried using it once and found that coding my own CLR function to manipulate strings to what I want was 100 times faster than the RegEx function was.

If you are running the code against a small dataset this should not matter however I was running the code against millions of rows and this had a major impact on performance.

What did your custom CLR do to beat Regex so soundly?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1296243
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:29 PM
I've used our own in-house implementations of some of the .Net RexEx functions on seemingly large datasets (several million records each), mostly to help clean up, validate and parse addresses, city-state-zip (or province), etc.

Beats pure SQL functions like Hulk did to Loki in the movie, especially in understandability. I'll take teasing a complicated Rexex pattern over scads of nested SQL functions trying to do the same thing.

one I really have done lots of is to do is keep expanding on a pattern like this: '(Company|corp|corporation|inc|llp|llc...)'

beats continuing to add "or field like '%new_match%' ..."
Post #1296251
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:59 AM
RegEx is Thee best tool in order to find any pattern within given string[did couple of test including .Net String manipulation and limited RegEx in SQL , Like/PATIndex....], and it proves to be much faster than any other way.
in regards to good editor, try this one: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm

moreover, consider using FullText indexing from time to time, as it might even ease searching for Words other than using RegEx.
Post #1296283
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:22 AM
If you use regex combined with a where clause it can not use the index anymore. I think this is very important.
Post #1296347
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:13 AM
Am I out of line in thinking this is something that should be handled in a high-level object-oriented language?
Post #1296354
Posted Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:48 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:12 AM
I'm not particularly familiar with the CLR--does processing stuff via RegEx in this way effectively mean you're using RBAR, or is it a bit cleverer than that?
Post #1296415
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse