Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Return of the users from hell! Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:31 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/r

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #129451
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:38 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:19 PM

Excellent article! You must have a lot of experience in IT field.

Post #137294
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 4:46 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:44 AM

Yet again, I think I've either met most of these or almost certainly will in the future.

My particular favourite: the accountant. As a Management Accountant my training goes way beyond accountancy and I understand value and other concepts past "cost".  Sadly, I have to work with traditional accountants more than you will ever have to, most often to despair!

My current organisation is pretty good, probably being an IT company (and my boss is also from a management accounting background) but where I worked last, everything was about cost!  DO NOT order notebooks - use scrap paper stapled together; DO NOT damage your bin liner - they cost too much over several hundred bins; POST-IT notes are banned!  Seriously... sometimes I was amazed we got free coffee. 

Post #137318
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 5:36 AM
SSCrazy

Its when they tell you to cut up old Christmas cards to save on toilet paper that you have to worry.

My eyes still water when I see a card with glitter on it.

LinkedIn Profile
Post #137331
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 9:43 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, August 9, 2007 1:24 PM

This article does not sound like "users" to me. They more sound like ex-managers of the author. Two totally different sets of people. "Managers from Hell" is a more appropriate title. But even so, I wonder how much of these supposed "stereotypes" are just the rantings of a disgruntled employee? I am not saying that these type of people do not exist in IT field. They exist in "all" types of fields, not just the IT field. Like my father used to say "You can either analyze life, or just live it and deal with it." People will be people, and you can't change what you can't control. So, don't let this kind of "stuff" rent too much space in your head.

Post #137411
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 10:02 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:44 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humor 

Post #137418
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:31 AM

Lol. Being a colleague of Dave's and not overly concerned that I am 'too many' of these people I do see where he's coming from.

In terms of disgruntled employee I think more a caring person that merely forewarns others of what one might expect.

Better fore-armed with a than thinking "Better keep this stuff to myself - perhaps these are normal people" and get that feeling ...

That said, I hope you enjoy your role as a project manager though the "can't change what you can't control" exists in the land of science and not really this thing we call "people"

M Saunders

Web/DB Developer

Post #137453
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:23 PM
SSCrazy

Never occurred to me that these were (mis)managers. 

Would you say that Dilbert was the rantings of a disgruntled employee?

Any similarities between persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.

LinkedIn Profile
Post #137456
Posted Friday, September 17, 2004 12:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:07 AM
 "You can either analyze life, or just live it and deal with it." - This is god-awful defeatism.  Unfortunately those managers/users personality traits being observed by the author are a real problem in the current IT world, symptomatic of lack of experience in a still relatively young industry with fast-changing standards and norms that have yet to be properly formalised or integrated into other social institutions. This is why you see these sorts of people much more often in and around the IT departments of non-IT corporates, compared to  smaller software vendors dedicated to the field. The IT industry is evolving and hopefully improving, thanks to the comments and observations of well-balanced critics such as the author.
Post #137517
Posted Friday, September 16, 2005 3:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 3:38 PM

Been there seen that.

I enjoy you articles. Keep up the good work

John Linville

Post #220529
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse